Clunking noise! Help!

RachelStriz

My jeep is making some wild clunking noises. It hasn't changed anything as far as performance and drive ability. There are no lights on the dash. It seems to come and go softer and LOUD in 2wd. It's extremely loud in 4wh and loud then dissipates in 4wl.

I don't know if this is something that I can handle on my own, as I do most maintenance and repairs myself. Didn't really want to pay a diagnostic fee and get an inflated quote on something I could do myself for 100$ ya know!

Please HELP!

It sounds like it’s definjrslt drivetrain related. There’s a good chance it’s something as simple as a u-joint.

Does it make it more when turning or braking?

My jeep is making some wild clunking noises. It hasn't changed anything as far as performance and drive ability. There are no lights on the dash. It seems to come and go softer and LOUD in 2wd. It's extremely loud in 4wh and loud then dissipates in 4wl.

I don't know if this is something that I can handle on my own, as I do most maintenance and repairs myself. Didn't really want to pay a diagnostic fee and get an inflated quote on something I could do myself for 100$ ya know!

Please HELP!

I had a clunking noise a while back, it was at idle and mostly in 2WD and accelerating. Did a bunch of research and figured it was my transfer case chain because it's common for that in the Np231 Transfer case, so I bought one, for 80$ lol. Never put it on and just before I was gonna a pay 480$ to have it installed I got a 120$, more thorough inspection to be 100% positive. After that they told me it was actually my transmission mount! So I replaced that pretty easy fix for an hour and the mount was 50$, drove it and it made everything way more firm and there were more vibrations overall but the clunking noise was gone for the most part, pretty sure I just have my motor mounts left that are making it still clunky a little bit. But yeah for me it was the mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RachelStriz
It doesnt change from turning and the speed doesnt really make a dif. Sometimes its loud and others not, but pretty bad in 4wd

That's starting to sound like it may indeed be something related to the transfer case as @Nicholas suggested above. I hate to just blindly guess though. This would be one of those instances though where if I wasn't as mechanically inclined as I am, I'd be paying to have a shop diagnose it.

Difficult to say from your description. First would be engine and transmission mounts; then u joints at all locations; all suspension components.

When does it make the clunk? I had a clunk that I chased all over when the drivetrain was loaded or unloaded (like taking off from a stop). I was CONVINCED it was in the drivetrain. I couldn't find it though. I decided to take it in, and the shop found it in less than an hour. Ended up being a loose control arm bolt. One that I had checked a couple times...or so I thought. I was too close to the problem and it took a fresh set of eyes.

Reactions: RussTJ
Could be any number of thing ball joint joint unit bearing you could take your front shaft off see if it makes the noise

From your profile you have listed a 2008 JK X. With a lift over 3.5" I would venture to say it is your front driveshaft. They have a CV at the transfer case. When you lift it over 3.5" it puts the driveshaft at a greater angle, it causes the boot to become torn and loose all of the grease. This causes the CV to wear out quickly. I would get the jeep up off of the ground by lifting from the frame. Check for movement on the driveshaft. From what you have described this is what it sounds like to me. The CV's are notorious for this after a lift. You can get it rebuilt. Or order a double cardon style driveshaft that will handle the angle cause by the lift.