Cluster Issue

SoDak 605

I have a '99 w/2.5.

I noticed after I bought it, that the gauges (all) will quit working (going back to '0') mostly while the headlight switch is on in some way (parking lights and headlights). If I turn the headlight/parking lights off and back on, the gauges will come back 'on'. Could it be the headlight switch?

TIA

I have a '99 w/2.5.

I noticed after I bought it, that the gauges (all) will quit working (going back to '0') mostly while the headlight switch is on in some way (parking lights and headlights). If I turn the headlight/parking lights off and back on, the gauges will come back 'on'. Could it be the headlight switch?

TIA

I would check your grounds on the back of the grill. Just above where your headlights plug in on both sides, there’s a single wire bolted to the grill. Those are the grounds for the front lights. Make sure those are clean and free of rust. You can clean them with a wire brush or sandpaper.

Headlight switches are cheap.

I just helped my neighbor with his 98...on top of the switch is a button that releases the knob...his knob and stalk wasn't fully seated in the switch... holding the release button down and pushing the knob back and forth got it to seat and got his headlights working.

-Mac

Headlight switches are cheap.

I just helped my neighbor with his 98...on top of the switch is a button that releases the knob...his knob and stalk wasn't fully seated in the switch... holding the release button down and pushing the knob back and forth got it to seat and got his headlights working.

-Mac

Very true. I get sued if I throw parts at problems so I always have to diagnose the cause first. Are you talking about the detent in the switch that locates it in position? Is that what was sticking? I’ve seen Fords do that a lot. Their multi switches are the worst.

Reactions: macleanflood
Very true. I get sued if I throw parts at problems so I always have to diagnose the cause first. Are you talking about the detent in the switch that locates it in position? Is that what was sticking? I’ve seen Fords do that a lot. Their multi switches are the worst.

Exactly.