Clutch Chaos

Coastee99jeep

I am in need of some help, luckily my Jeep isn't my daily driver but I want to get her fixed. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, flywheel, throw out bearing, and master slave assembly.. and yes even the fork retainer clip. I got everything installed last night and drove around the block had no problems. This morning I drove it about 2 miles no issues but on the way back I wasn't able to shift gears and the clutch pedal was rock hard luckily I was almost home. About a block away the Jeep made a pop sound, my assumption was the slave cylinder popped off the fork. I got her in the garage pulled the slave cylinder off, I couldn't tell if it had popped off the fork cup. Now the fork has a lot of play, pulled the starter out to inspect the other side of the fork it was clearly attached and could see the retainer clip. Also I think I smoked my starter luckily I have a life time warranty on it. Have any of you guys and gals had this problem that can offer me some advice. Thanks in advance for the help.

Brandon

Sounds like the clip that holds the bearing to the fork snapped.

Happened to an xj of mine long time ago.

You're gonna have to drop the trans again to figure it out.

I would have to agree with the above, sounds like that clip is toast. Looks like the transmission is coming back out.

That’s a bummer 😐

×3. Sorry about that. Replace the fork pivot and spring this time for a 100% new system. Be sure the throw out bearing is in the right way.
At least you have some free time now.

×3. Sorry about that. Replace the fork pivot and spring this time for a 100% new system. Be sure the throw out bearing is in the right way.
At least you have some free time now.
Unfortunately the military is one of those "essential persons" jobs lol

IMG_20200108_173813.jpg

Let me guess..... Thats a Chinese made throw out bearing.
Years ago when I replaced the clutch assembly on my '98 XJ 4.0L; I purposely purchased a Timken TOB.
Using Chinese parts will come back to bite you.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Well luckily I have spare parts.. I think this might had something to do with the problems.. now I have a shaft for the throw out bearing

IMG_20200329_143705.jpg

IMG_20200329_143505.jpg