Clutch fork came off

jtf440

TJ Enthusiast
Last night I was driving home and when I went to downshift, my clutch pedal went straight to the floor and did nothing. I managed to limp home by starting it in gear twice.

This morning I pulled the slave cylinder off and the clutch fork is very loose and can move without resistance in every direction.

I think the fork came off the pivot ball on the other side. Is there a way to get to the other side of the fork without pulling the transmission?

Last night I was driving home and when I went to downshift, my clutch pedal went straight to the floor and did nothing. I managed to limp home by starting it in gear twice.

This morning I pulled the slave cylinder off and the clutch fork is very loose and can move without resistance in every direction.

I think the fork came off the pivot ball on the other side. Is there a way to get to the other side of the fork without pulling the transmission?

Just my opinion. . . Sounds more like your throwout baring shit the bed.

The fork just kinda pushes against the pivot ball and the throwout keeps it from coming off.

I can't find my picture of mine that grenaded

Reactions: jtf440
The lack of noise does not seem right.

Maybe... the slave cylinder shit the bed. Try holding it compressed and have someone slowly push in the clutch. If you can hold it compressed then it might be your problem.

Just spit balling ideas.

Reactions: jtf440
@Boinked
I did pull the slave cylinder out and I was able to hold the rod with one hand while pushing the pedal with the other and the motion was smooth and there was little resistance. The rod on the slave cylinder did have some movement, like a wobble extension.

You can get a cheap ($35) borescope that runs off your phone. Put that into the slave cylinder opening and you can fish it around to look into the bell housing. I did this to diagnose my clutch failure.
D1B4A303-24C4-4BD0-8D9C-7A41ECA10928.jpeg

Reactions: Daryl
I just put a new clutch in and mounted everything back up. When I was putting a new slave cylinder in I moved the clutch fork and the pivot ball clip fell off. How can I get to it without dropping trans. 2006 tj

The pivot ball (iirc) is at least part plastic and can wear or crack or break. This can make the fork able to pop off the pivot. Replacement pivot balls are available. Replace pivot and retaining spring.

i had the same issue and it ended up being the throwout bearing. while i was in there i replaced the pivot ball and clutch retaining spring/clip, all parts that break easily/wear down. but either way i had to drop the bell housing to do the repairs; the parts all together are only about $60 in total.

Without the spring holding the fork in place it can dislodge itself. I would think one or two harsh potholes could knock a worn fork off a worn or broken ball.

Years ago I had the clip that holds the fork to the pivot ball break while driving. The fork was able to move freely in the housing and required a transmission pull to replace that stupid clip. Did the clutch kit and pivot ball while I was at it. 30 cent clip can cause a tremendous amount of headache.