Clutch misbehaving

LaCroix09

Hey friends,

having some transmission issues and could use some diagnostic help. New LUK clutch kit put in last September after the throw out bearing went. All was smooth sailing until a few days ago. Girlfriend was driving to work and she said the clutch just went limp and she couldn't shift at all. Pulled over, restarted it, and it worked again. But now the clutch has a totally different feel. It's softer up top and a ton of resistance towards the floor. Most shifts are OK, but it doesn't feel like the clutch is engaging to the same degree it was before. 2nd is even more cantankerous than usual and 1st and reverse seem more difficult to get into.

Really dreading having to pay another shop to drop the transmission again. I know the syncros were on the way out last time, but not sure if that would change the clutch action.

Recent Green Sands pic for your help. (y)

My bet is that only the hydraulic part of the clutch pedal mechanism has failed. That's a fairly inexpensive assembly and is easily replaced without dropping the transmission. The assembly is complete with the master and slave cylinders, and comes pre-filled with hydraulic fluid, pre-bled, and ready to bolt in. It's a 2-banana job. 😊

Man wouldn't that be amazing? I hope you're right!

Update: just drove it into town and back and just before we made it home I couldn't get it into gear at all. Guessing the clutch just refused to engage. When I would try and put it in gear it would just act like I dumped the clutch. This still consistent it being the pedal itself?

Thanks!

Having spent the weekend under my Wranlger replacing the clutch, 2 things come to mind. Most simply, if it is a hydraulic issue, Jerry is right about replacing the clutch master cylinder and slave as a single unit being an easy fix. Hopefully that is your problem, but I would think there would be some evidence of a fluid leak you'd be able to see.

The other problem I'm picturing (which involves dropping the transmission) is an issue with the clutch fork assembly, probably the retainer clip on the fork pivot side. I replaced mine today with a new one, but the one I pulled out only had 1 leg on it. If that fails or was forgotten, maybe the fork isn't moving properly when the clutch is pressed, so you're never moving the throw out bearing up to disengage the clutch. That might explain the changed pedal feel and feeling like the clutch was dumped when putting it into gear.

Reactions: Goatman
My bet is that only the hydraulic part of the clutch pedal mechanism has failed. That's a fairly inexpensive assembly and is easily replaced without dropping the transmission. The assembly is complete with the master and slave cylinders, and comes pre-filled with hydraulic fluid, pre-bled, and ready to bolt in. It's a 2-banana job. 😊
And furthermore, would this be the correct part?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...bUCOnGO07CH+CldVtR0O3hgoM0xdbRQjsIvj4WQhVgQ==