Clutch Pedal Makes Clicking / Popping Sound (With Video)

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
This sound is new. Wondering what it means. Is it ok?

97 SE Manual, 90k miles.

In the video, you hear me engage the clutch three times before starting the engine. Each time, it makes three clicks/pops, with the final one coming at the same time the pedal contacts the carpet/tub. Then the engine starts, and after it settles down I pump the clutch a few more times. But now, only two clicks/pops each time, still with the final one coming right when the pedal contacts the carpet/tub. Then I cut the engine and do it again, with three clicks/pops.

I'm not used to hearing these pops at all. The fact that there are only two when the engine is running, and three otherwise, is interesting.

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows how much of a rookie I am. Any advice would be appreciated.

This sound is new. Wondering what it means. Is it ok?

97 SE Manual, 90k miles.

In the video, you hear me engage the clutch three times before starting the engine. Each time, it makes three clicks/pops, with the final one coming at the same time the pedal contacts the carpet/tub. Then the engine starts, and after it settles down I pump the clutch a few more times. But now, only two clicks/pops each time, still with the final one coming right when the pedal contacts the carpet/tub. Then I cut the engine and do it again, with three clicks/pops.

I'm not used to hearing these pops at all. The fact that there are only two when the engine is running, and three otherwise, is interesting.

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows how much of a rookie I am. Any advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 304454
Those are the same sounds I had on my last one with ~140k. There’s a few threads around with here, one where I got a few reply’s that is was normal and nothing to worry about, assuming the actual shifting is fine. I had limited success in lubing the linkage, clutch pedal, or the slave cylinder rod and wouldn’t spend the time.

Attachments

• B204BF08-1B49-45B9-837B-F4A826F7B7D1.MOV
    22.6 MB
Those are the same sounds I had on my last one with ~140k. There’s a few threads around with here, one where I got a few reply’s that is was normal and nothing to worry about, assuming the actual shifting is fine. I had limited success in lubing the linkage, clutch pedal, or the slave cylinder rod and wouldn’t spend the time.

Interesting, thanks. I should have thought to take a video from down by the clutch pedal. Might do that.

Your sounds are a little different, but you might be right that it's the same thing. Will keep exploring.

I hear the noises, but really cannot determine what the source is.....
Are you sure the sounds are not coming from the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder ?

Not sure at all! And yes, I do think the sounds are coming from the engine bay, which was why I put the phone in there for the video.

I'll get a family member to push the clutch for me and see if I can track down the sound.

I had a similar multiple popping noise when pushing the clutch pedal occur randomly around 160k miles. it began just a few months after a clutch job. it was most occurring during cold starts and periodically would go away when driving and at times a few days. sometimes the pedal felt rough and popped and other times it was butter smooth but it never went away, sometimes it popped other times it didnt.

when I had initially did that clutch replacement I was sure to lubricate all pivot/slide points but it didnt seem to make a difference. never figured it out though I was a little suspicious it was the shaft the throwout bearing slides on getting dirty/dry as it requires a little bit of lubricant grease.

about a year after my clutch job the throwout bearing began to chirp (plastic luk bearing) so I took the transmission off again, replaced the throwout bearing with a mopar oem and cleaned and lubed everything again including the shaft the throwout bearing slides on. had no change in the popping noise but the pedal felt smoother in operation

several months later I had hopped in the jeep reached for the clutch pedal and it was "missing" from its natural resting spot. the master cylinders pedal push pins retaining clip had broke and the pedal was resting further back than my foots natural memory was reaching for. the jeep wouldn't start and I had no clutch pedal. had to get into the fuse panel behind the glovebox and pull a fuse to bypass the clutch saftey switch and manually lift the push pin into place to be able to cautiously operate it enough to get home.

I had ordered and replaced the clutch master and slave assembly for the clutch $70 I think (a very easy job) think it basically just required a 13mm socket. and I no longer had a popping clutch pedal.

whether or not the popping was the result of the clutch, throwout bearing lube or the master cylinder beginning to fail, ill never know. but I do know that since replacing the master/slave assembly which was ready to go out of the box (no bleeding required) I no longer have a popping clutch pedal.

cant say that yours is beginning to show signs of failure but I believe it to be the reason mine was popping.

instructions for install were pretty lacking, dont cut the retaining plastic straps on the slave cylinder push pin before you insert it into the transmission. they will intentionally break apart the first time you push the clutch pedal. and make sure you get all your plastic bushings in place along with your clutch saftey switch on the shaft before you insert it into the new master cylinder as it only clips in place once and will be non removable.

I had a similar multiple popping noise when pushing the clutch pedal occur randomly around 160k miles. it began just a few months after a clutch job. it was most occurring during cold starts and periodically would go away when driving and at times a few days. sometimes the pedal felt rough and popped and other times it was butter smooth but it never went away, sometimes it popped other times it didnt.

when I had initially did that clutch replacement I was sure to lubricate all pivot/slide points but it didnt seem to make a difference. never figured it out though I was a little suspicious it was the shaft the throwout bearing slides on getting dirty/dry as it requires a little bit of lubricant grease.

about a year after my clutch job the throwout bearing began to chirp (plastic luk bearing) so I took the transmission off again, replaced the throwout bearing with a mopar oem and cleaned and lubed everything again including the shaft the throwout bearing slides on. had no change in the popping noise but the pedal felt smoother in operation

several months later I had hopped in the jeep reached for the clutch pedal and it was "missing" from its natural resting spot. the master cylinders pedal push pins retaining clip had broke and the pedal was resting further back than my foots natural memory was reaching for. the jeep wouldn't start and I had no clutch pedal. had to get into the fuse panel behind the glovebox and pull a fuse to bypass the clutch saftey switch and manually lift the push pin into place to be able to cautiously operate it enough to get home.

I had ordered and replaced the clutch master and slave assembly for the clutch $70 I think (a very easy job) think it basically just required a 13mm socket. and I no longer had a popping clutch pedal.

whether or not the popping was the result of the clutch, throwout bearing lube or the master cylinder beginning to fail, ill never know. but I do know that since replacing the master/slave assembly which was ready to go out of the box (no bleeding required) I no longer have a popping clutch pedal.

cant say that yours is beginning to show signs of failure but I believe it to be the reason mine was popping.

instructions for install were pretty lacking, dont cut the retaining plastic straps on the slave cylinder push pin before you insert it into the transmission. they will intentionally break apart the first time you push the clutch pedal. and make sure you get all your plastic bushings in place along with your clutch saftey switch on the shaft before you insert it into the new master cylinder as it only clips in place once and will be non removable.

Hey, thanks very much. I'm hoping that the sound is just coming from my master/slave assembly. Will check again tonight and see. If so, that sounds easy.

Thanks for the tips and lessons-learned. I'll add them to my notes whenever I write up this job.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Right, so in the end I ended up ordering a new complete pre-bled Master/Slave Cylinder from Rock Auto but before I install it, I thought I'd use an inspection camera to have a look at the throw-out bearing because I remember hearing a squealing sound coming from the bell housing area when the engine was on. Well, I can't tell exactly what the state of the bearing is but I don't think I am gonna it's good. Can you all take a look at the photos below and tell me what you think? It looks pretty bad to me....

1648234771848.jpg

1648234771866.jpg

1648234771837.jpg

1648234771875.jpg

Right, so in the end I ended up ordering a new complete pre-bled Master/Slave Cylinder from Rock Auto but before I install it, I thought I'd use an inspection camera to have a look at the throw-out bearing because I remember hearing a squealing sound coming from the bell housing area when the engine was on. Well, I can't tell exactly what the state of the bearing is but I don't think I am gonna it's good. Can you all take a look at the photos below and tell me what you think? It looks pretty bad to me....

Pics don't appear to be coming through. Do they show up on your end?

Yep, this time I'm seeing them on both posts.

Wish I had any help helpful to say. Staying tuned for any replies from others.