Zman

I have a persistent engine code 1494. Evap system malfunction

Anyone else have to troubleshoot this ?

Thanks,

Zman

Last edited:
1491 would be a code for a Cherokee with electric fan motor Tj have a mechanical driven fan so no fan really Don’t know why you would have that code

X2.

What did you scan it with, an OBDII code scanner?

Quadratec has a listing of codes for Jeep 1997 - 2006 ,
1491 shows fan relay also

Interesting, because 1491 only comes up on Google as an electric fan issue with a Cherokee. I've never heard of this code before until now.

It may be worth clearing with the scanner to see if it comes back.

Ahhh, usually that code ends up being resolved by replacing the gas cap with an OE gas cap, or making sure it's on tight.

Actually, @Jerry Bransford had some recommendations for gas cap replacements, but I can't seem to find them. Maybe he'll chime in.

Interesting, because 1491 only comes up on Google as an electric fan issue with a Cherokee. I've never heard of this code before until now.

It may be worth clearing with the scanner to see if it comes back.
Chris, is there a way to edit the subject line in my post? Or should I repost as new, showing 1494 instead of 1491 in subject line ?

Ahhh, usually that code ends up being resolved by replacing the gas cap with an OE gas cap, or making sure it's on tight.

Actually, @Jerry Bransford had some recommendations for gas cap replacements, but I can't seem to find them. Maybe he'll chime in.
I’ll get a new cap 1st, That was the start of my list. I think egr valve is second

I’ll get a new cap 1st, That was the start of my list. I think egr valve is second

Yes. Sometimes with these codes it's worth clearing them just to see if they come back. Mine did it once, I cleared it, and it never came back.

Yes. Sometimes with these codes it's worth clearing them just to see if they come back. Mine did it once, I cleared it, and it never came back.
Yup,

This one I’ve cleared many times in the last month or so....

She has been out for service lately and I am now just starting to troubleshoot the code as I did not want to pay my mechanic until I had a go at it.

Reactions: Chris
Yup,

This one I’ve cleared many times in the last month or so....

She has been out for service lately and I am now just starting to troubleshoot the code as I did not want to pay my mechanic until I had a go at it.

Two videos that may be of help when troubleshooting this:

And this:

While those aren't Jeeps, it's the same procedure. A smoke machine definitely makes it easy as can be to find an evaporation system leak!