Cold Snaps and TJs

Rustynj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is my first winter with this rust bucket and so far I’ve got two new issues at around 10-15 degrees.

Apparently frozen door handle that goes limp. Have to bang the exterior of the door for it to engage.

P0344 code. Maybe it’s just covered by gook and frozen solid? Will give it a good wash when it warms up out here.

What kind of winter issues do you guys get?

When springtime comes, pull the panels and thoroughly clean the lock mechanisms. I use some Teflon-based dry lube when done. I also use some Teflon-based grease on the striker plate and lock pawls.

Cam sensor code will take some diving into...

Reactions: tr21triton
The 99 simply won't crank when it's gotten to about 10 degrees or lower this winter. I suspect it's a negative cable issue.

The 97 started having an intake whistle at idle until the engine warms up.

This is my first winter with this rust bucket and so far I’ve got two new issues at around 10-15 degrees.

Apparently frozen door handle that goes limp. Have to bang the exterior of the door for it to engage.

P0344 code. Maybe it’s just covered by gook and frozen solid? Will give it a good wash when it warms up out here.

What kind of winter issues do you guys get?
That code seems to be common in 05-06 model years. Has the OPDA been replaced? Some light reading:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/
Mine isn't a DD, so it sits most of the winter with a few drives when the weather cooperates. I don't have any winter issues...but don't want to jinx it!

When I leave in in the parking lot at work, and the wind is howling on below zero days, it shifts into second a little hard until it warms up. Not bad, so I just take it easy.

And I wish it had a heated steering wheel then. I try to rememer to park facing the sun.

That code seems to be common in 05-06 model years. Has the OPDA been replaced? Some light reading:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/
Mine isn't a DD, so it sits most of the winter with a few drives when the weather cooperates. I don't have any winter issues...but don't want to jinx it!
Unsure. Is this original?

67795B32-4655-41C6-95E5-E9EE350AFC0E.jpeg

Below zero issues here are NONE.
p.s. My feet do get hot with the insane Jeep heaters and soft top.

for real. I've never had a heat as hot as what comes in a TJ.

During the shoulder season when I'm still wearing flip flops and running doorless but the weather is cooling off at night, I feel like I'm gonna get out with all the hair singed off my feet.