Colorado snowstorm

Basiasadie

TJ Enthusiast
I wish I had gotten some good pics last night.
So after being bone dry all month, we finally got snow up here in my mountain town. A lot of snow.
So it's snow storming and I have to go rescue my friend from Grand Junction, my boyfriend and other friend decided that since Junction is a desert, that it will be nicer there and we should make a day trip of it, my friend says let's take his Buick, I argued that we should take my jeep since I will end up driving anyway (I've been driving since I was 5, starting with 18 wheelers at my dad's farm, and have been trained through extreme weather driving courses my whole life )
So, my friend doesn't argue very hard, admitting that he didn't want to drive but will buy gas.
Grand junction is 1 hour and 45 minutes if all the roads are clear. It took us 2 and a half hours to get there in the beginning of this storm, we hit Parachute and finally got out of the storm.
We got to junction and did some shopping and rollerblading/lazer tag at Spin City, then decided to go home after dinner. We left Junction around 9pm.
We go to parachute and hit one of the worst snow storms I've seen out here in years, you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. We ended up at 24 mph, on i70 that they couldn't keep plowed, we passed more rollovers and accidents than I wanted to see.
We ended up finally using jeeps 4x4, not once did we slide, spin or get stuck unlike the other vehicles on the road last night. It took us about 4 hours to get home to Glenwood. My friends and boyfriend wouldn't stop thanking me for wanting to take the jeep. I was just thankful I own a vehicle that can handle bad situations with grace.
Same can be said for actor James Wood who crashed in Glenwood Canyon yesterday, he credits his grand Cherokee in keeping him alive.

I love my jeep tj rubicon.
dec88ebeeefa22045eaadf832bc1e011.jpg

I'm thinking @Chris should make a subsection for jeep stories. I wasn't sure where to put this at.
Would definitely give people some real life proof about the capabilities of tjs.

You're right, I should do that and will do that!

Sounds like a lot of fun. We just drove through the mountains and tons and tons of snow for Thanksgiving weekend. It amazes me how well my Rubicon does in the snow, it's just fantastic!

BTW, good call on not letting your friend take the Buick. What a stupid idea that would have been, haha!

Reactions: Basiasadie
You're right, I should do that and will do that!

Sounds like a lot of fun. We just drove through the mountains and tons and tons of snow for Thanksgiving weekend. It amazes me how well my Rubicon does in the snow, it's just fantastic!

BTW, good call on not letting your friend take the Buick. What a stupid idea that would have been, haha!
Ugh his Buick is embarrassing, he doesn't know how to care for a vehicle at all, the thing is running on hope right now. I don't even want to think of what would have happened if we'd taken his dinosaur of a buick.

Reactions: Chris
Ugh his Buick is embarrassing, he doesn't know how to care for a vehicle at all, the thing is running on hope right now. I don't even want to think of what would have happened if we'd taken his dinosaur of a buick.

You most definitely would have been stuck if the snow storm was really that bad!

You most definitely would have been stuck if the snow storm was really that bad!
It was, we where the only moving vehicle on the road for most of the trip back. A lot of smaller cars had rolled and AAA won't pull anyone out of the snow with this type of weather. I counted about 15+ accidents from rifle to glenwood, mostly rollovers and spun out vehicles. All the 18 wheelers had pulled off in rifle before hitting any of the canyons.

A lot of smaller cars had rolled and AAA won't pull anyone out of the snow with this type of weather.

Ahhh, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. So if you do get stuck you pretty much have to leave your vehicle there.

Ahhh, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. So if you do get stuck you pretty much have to leave your vehicle there.
Yep, my jeep "club" also runs a 4x4 rescue and recovery serviced by volunteers because of that. They had a busy couple of days this week with this storm, I wish I could join them but I don't have a winch or a lot of equipment to help out with.

Yep, my jeep "club" also runs a 4x4 rescue and recovery serviced by volunteers because of that. They had a busy couple of days this week with this storm, I wish I could join them but I don't have a winch or a lot of equipment to help out with.

I hear ya. I try to help people out whenever possible with my winch and recovery gear as well. Especially at the beach where idiots seem to get stuck left and right in the sand!

I hear ya. I try to help people out whenever possible with my winch and recovery gear as well. Especially at the beach where idiots seem to get stuck left and right in the sand!
I'm glad we don't have a lot of sand here, but so many people don't think when they get into the mountains. It became common for my parents to have to rescue people around our farm cause they got stupid and trespassed. The amount of abandoned 4x4 vehicles we'd find up on the mountain our farm backed into grew every year.
It's like somethings in the water out here.

Reactions: TJDave and Chris
I'm glad we don't have a lot of sand here, but so many people don't think when they get into the mountains. It became common for my parents to have to rescue people around our farm cause they got stupid and trespassed. The amount of abandoned 4x4 vehicles we'd find up on the mountain our farm backed into grew every year.
It's like somethings in the water out here.

Hey, more spare parts for you!

I've driven in the snow quite a bit throughout my life. The one thing people never seem to be able to grasp with driving in the snow is braking distance and the ability to brake in general. They seem to think they can just slam on the brakes like no big deal.

Hey, more spare parts for you!

I've driven in the snow quite a bit throughout my life. The one thing people never seem to be able to grasp with driving in the snow is braking distance and the ability to brake in general. They seem to think they can just slam on the brakes like no big deal.
I wish I could have used them. We had to sell the farm back in 2012 when my parents split. I might go take the service road up and see if they have any new abandoned vehicles. The new owners where longtime family friends.

I live downtown next to the fire station with my boyfriend now, and every time it snows we hear them leaving to go to accidents in the canyon or along 82 towards aspen. Besides braking, it's like everyone thinks they have to ride each others bumpers. The second one guy stops they all slam into each other.

Reactions: TJDave and Chris
I wish I could have used them. We had to sell the farm back in 2012 when my parents split. I might go take the service road up and see if they have any new abandoned vehicles. The new owners where longtime family friends.

I live downtown next to the fire station with my boyfriend now, and every time it snows we hear them leaving to go to accidents in the canyon or along 82 towards aspen. Besides braking, it's like everyone thinks they have to ride each others bumpers. The second one guy stops they all slam into each other.

Yep, and you'd really think that people who were constantly around snow would know how to drive, but even in the snowy places here they still don't know how to drive, it's friggin' amazing how stupid people can be.

I always keep a huge amount of distance between me and the person in front of me when I am driving in the snow.

Great story, thanks. Reminds me a little of when my Jeep had less than 600 miles on it and there was snow in the hills after work. Not nearly as exciting as your story.