Comm gear surviving an EMP, any ideas?

Nuclear pulses are very big so small things like the steel hull of a nuclear sub are not large enough to stop damage. Lightning pulses are small so good grounds easily reroute the energy preventing damage. When people talk about Faraday cages and foil hats that's fine for small stuff but big stuff rolls on through.
What is the expected wave length of nuke pulse? How about a dirty nuke?

Here’s the thing… a radio only works if there is another to receive/send. So basically you would be reliant on others to protect theirs the same, and the likely hood of that is probably so close zero that it would be immeasurable.

But my answer… similar to a bomb bunker. Put it in a weather tight box with chicken wire around it (faraday cage) and bury it 9ft under ground. Or run something like this, if you trust it.

https://www.empshield.com/product/v...NCeTZo2ukjkh-zOmUpsjL0CJwUwXzGVxoC3zAQAvD_BwE

Also I don’t believe there is a way to protect them without making them inoperable while protected.

Reactions: WSS
Also I don’t believe there is a way to protect them without making them inoperable while protected.
That seems to be the general consensus. I plan to build a spare repeater and store it with a few radios JIC

Here’s the thing… a radio only works if there is another to receive/send. So basically you would be reliant on others to protect theirs the same, and the likely hood of that is probably so close zero that it would be immeasurable.
My Intent is to have a working local repeater and a handful of programmed matching radios that can be deployed in minutes if needed. Rotating working repeaters is good practice I think to keep trained.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed, you guys are overthinking it. :p

1643899026057.png
1643899100831.png

Solar panels
So your Faraday Cage will need to be big enough for the repeater, radios, batteries, charge controller, and probably your panels too.

What’s the location of the existing repeater? The ones around me are on water towers and are difficult to get to.