Condenser Hell

samobius

My original 2003 Sahara A/C condenser has had a leak since I bought it. A couple of years ago I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto, but it was the wrong one. I chalked that one up to my ignorance because after doing some researching I found I needed part number 55037618AD. I found one at WeRMopar, and ordered it, but my order was cancelled due to being out of stock.

So most recently, armed with the correct part number, I found one on the Jegs website and ordered it, but upon opening the box today, I found that it too is the wrong one.

On my condenser, the connections are angled 90º from each other like this (in fact, this is the photo from the Jegs website!)
1564614123352.png

But every condenser I've tried to order has the connections parallel like this, including this one from Jegs that shows the orientation I need:
1564614179045.png

And the hoses won't connect to the parallel style because they interfere with the alternator belt if you try to twist them into position.

Has anyone else run into this problem on their TJ? Any workarounds? Can I order different hoses somewhere?

Called Jegs today and chatted with a tech. They called Crown. Crown said that the 55037618AD part number is the right one for my Jeep and that the picture shown on the site is the right one for my Jeep. So they're not sure why I have the wrong condenser. That makes me feel a little better.

They've asked for pictures to see what I got. Then Crown is going to see if they have any of the other kind since it sounds like someone might have just stuffed the wrong condenser in my box.

Well, bad news. Crown no longer manufactures that particular condenser. Jegs is paying for my return shipping, however; super happy with their customer service on this issue.

Guess I'll be looking at the used market ... anyone parting out?