Confused about front axle seals

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Guys.You guys always have the answers.
When I bought my 2000 tj a year ago I did major repairs,frame,floor pans,fenders,skid plate,brakes and 1 front axle u joint. Just before I parked it for the winter I noticed the front passenger side axle started to leak. I guess i disturbed the seal. Anyway I pulled both axles and wondered after cleaning and replacing the other u joint and installing the new seals if I should just use the stock dirt slingers or the ones I see on line that seal off the tubes.I know if I get them and install them I will need to check the oil level more often in case a seal fails. Any thoughts from you guys who have used them.

Reactions: Chris
Your front axle is sealed with inner seals that are installed from inside the pumpkin, the differential has to be removed to replace them.

That aftermarket outer seal is totally unnecessary and is actually a bad idea since it can hide a leaking inner seal. My current TJ came with those stupid outer seals and I threw them into the trash at my first opportunity.
Outer-Seals.jpg

Thanks Chris.
The differential looked good so I will just change out the seals after I clean out the tubes. You guys have all the right answers coming from experience. I suppose it makes sense after a water crossing that it will drain slowly past the slingers and out rather than work past the seals farther up the shafts.

Yep, those things will just trap the water in there and not let it easily get out, which is counter intuitive.

Thanks also for the reply jerry.This forum is the best.Ever since I started on this 2000 tj project a year ago it has been from the forum feedback and guys like you ,chris and others that has made this project easier to undertake. Once I got it on the road this summer it has been a real joy to drive. Lots and lots of work but a real joy to drive.It may look rough around the edges but mechanically better .