Confused on Moab Wheel Finishes

Fouledplugs

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So I have been slowly looking for some Mopar Factory Moabs. Dealership still carries them. Ive been looking at new and used but that is beaide the point.

Does anyone know why Jeep offered two different finishes on the Moabs? Was this a factory option on the Rubicons? Maybe 05,06 only? Just curious.

Some are matte silver and others are machined silver.

I much prefer the machined look over the matte.

3564AC78-83E1-4BF8-A682-5C1AA77EEE6A.jpeg
D8BB563A-87E6-4254-96FE-F4EC23CF3BA0.jpeg
E17955A3-D37C-4EC5-927C-021FCBB964E2.jpeg
54AC9110-E53A-45F4-9A86-04072FFCAE77.jpeg

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
I never knew they did, but I don't care for those polished aluminum ones. Mine are the satin ones.

I've always said that if I ever needed to refinish my Moab wheels, there's this guy in town who does wheel refinishing for high end cars and does an amazing, amazing job. He said he can do my wheels for me should I ever need to have them done, and they'll look like brand new.

Fortunately for now though, my wheels are flawless!

So I have been slowly looking for some Mopar Factory Moabs. Dealership still carries them. Ive been looking at new and used but that is beaide the point.

Does anyone know why Jeep offered two different finishes on the Moabs? Was this a factory option on the Rubicons? Maybe 05,06 only? Just curious.

Some are matte silver and others are machined silver.

I much prefer the machined look over the matte.

View attachment 35684 View attachment 35685 View attachment 35688 View attachment 35689
The Rubicon/Sahara editon to my knowledge was the only tj that came with the polished Moab’s. I kinda like them myself

I could be TOTALLY wrong about this but I THINK '03s & '04s were painted and '05s & '06s have a polished look. I have a number of these wheels. I usually ask the seller what year of TJ he took them off. As you can imagine the answers are inconsistent but that's what I have gleaned from what I have been told. Surely there are enough owners on this forum with their original wheels and maybe some can shed further light on this, at least for their model year.

Regarding the polished ones, the wheels I have stripped and painted, which is my preference, have all been lightly polished and then clear coated. I have taken it off with either media blasting or paint stripper.

Apologies for the cross post but Im adding an update for future searches. A reputable wheel refinisher can turn your matte/flat silver Moabs into the machined finished Moabs for a price.

My brother straightened his, welded up a crack, powder coated the inner spokes and barrels, and then put them on the wheel lathe to give the Rubicon Moab spokes a machined finish. They came out looking amazing.

A167060D-34A8-4229-A0BE-E5AAD955E8B0.jpeg
DCDB1937-B4C7-41B4-8275-24A48A961692.jpeg
00C42289-0A8B-4B5F-84AE-0922F4095B94.jpeg
2B9EFAC2-7C8B-4307-8A19-0C0DEA1417F8.jpeg

Apologies for the cross post but Im adding an update for future searches. A reputable wheel refinisher can turn your matte/flat silver Moabs into the machined finished Moabs for a price.

My brother straightened his, welded up a crack, powder coated the inner spokes and barrels, and then put them on the wheel lathe to give the Rubicon Moab spokes a machined finish. They came out looking amazing.

View attachment 92037View attachment 92039View attachment 92038View attachment 92040
Those look amazing. Still my favorite wheel.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Those look amazing. Still my favorite wheel.
Hate to get off topic, but where are you with respect to another TJ or LJ? Miss seeing your build...

Reactions: Starrs
Now we are anxiously awaiting pictures of them on. :)
If my brother puts them on his current LJ, I will post pics. Last time we talked about the Moabs in the pictures above, he was thinking about just flipping them for profit. The machining and paint didnt cost him anything.

He currently is looking for another LJ in a little bit of a better condition.

View attachment 92037View attachment 92039View attachment 92038View attachment 92040
Fouledplugs, what is the name of the shop he had these done at and how much $$ was the paint and machining?

Back to OP. I have the non-polished on an 06 Rubicon. Know another Rubicon, an 05 and it has the same.