Considering a Wrangler

Esperado

I've been wanting to get rid of my VW Golf for a while now and get something I can enjoy driving and learn to work on at home, and I found out that a friend of a friend is getting rid of his Wrangler. I'm making plans to go check it out in the next week or two, but I wanted to do a little digging beforehand and came across this forum.

I'd love some preliminary input on the photos I've got, and help with knowing what to check for when I get there (we'll definitely be getting underneath to see the situation). I'm bringing a mechanic friend and his buddy who he said would be perfect to check it out, so I'm not worried about that.

Here's the information my friend forwarded to me:
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport, 4.0 liter, 5 speed manual.
He bought it with about 120k miles from a dealer who got it as a trade in. 158k miles currently, not much offroading or highway driving. Clean title and carfax. some paint blemishes, and could use a new weather seal on the front windshield. Original engine and transmission. 4x4 hi and low both work, came with a set of 30" BFG all terrains when he bought it.

Modifications and Repairs since he's owned it:
2016 - bluetooth radio, new top, shorter rubber antenna, floor light/key in ignition alarm pulled (for door removal)
2017 - added winch and tow hitch, new front brakes and rotors
2018 - new ignition switch, new speakers (and wiring for a sub), new AC/heat blower panel
2019 - new brake lines
2020 - new windshield
2023 - AC recharge, new shocks
2024 - new platinum driveline clutch slave and master cylinder

10k OBO, pictures below:

1-driver-side.png

2-passenger-side.png

3-front-bumper.png

4-rear-bumper.png

5-windshield.png

6-front-seat.png

7-dash.png

8-mileage.png

Not sure your personal situation, what year the VW Golf etc, but I'm a Jeep guy, I love Jeeps and have had them since I was a kid, so I couldn't imagine not going from that to this Wrangler.

That said, it looks clean and sounds clean. It's a street Jeep, looks like it has been, which is all good. The frame and rust is thing 1. Don't just look at the outside, put your finger in the openings and try and see if you can get a feel for if it's rusting underneath. I'd look at what axles it has, my guess would be Dana 30/35 combo, which isn't a reason to not get it, but also not a premium. I'd look at the Control Arm bushings and the track bar bushings. It's not big $, but do they look like they might need to be replaced. I'd drive it and find some pot holes, bumps etc. while test driving it.

Sounds weird, but personally I've done that hoping it starts to wobble, knock off $2k, and tighten some loose connections.

I wouldn't personally go $10k, but it's what you're willing to pay, not me. I've never had a 2000 specifically, I believe there were head cracking issues, maybe some others can point that out.

Just don't be fooled, pay what you need to , but there will need to be a budget for parts on a 24 year old Jeep.

Reactions: JMT
Not sure your personal situation, what year the VW Golf etc, but I'm a Jeep guy, I love Jeeps and have had them since I was a kid, so I couldn't imagine not going from that to this Wrangler.

That said, it looks clean and sounds clean. It's a street Jeep, looks like it has been, which is all good. The frame and rust is thing 1. Don't just look at the outside, put your finger in the openings and try and see if you can get a feel for if it's rusting underneath. I'd look at what axles it has, my guess would be Dana 30/35 combo, which isn't a reason to not get it, but also not a premium. I'd look at the Control Arm bushings and the track bar bushings. It's not big $, but do they look like they might need to be replaced. I'd drive it and find some pot holes, bumps etc. while test driving it.

Sounds weird, but personally I've done that hoping it starts to wobble, knock off $2k, and tighten some loose connections.

I wouldn't personally go $10k, but it's what you're willing to pay, not me. I've never had a 2000 specifically, I believe there were head cracking issues, maybe some others can point that out.

Just don't be fooled, pay what you need to , but there will need to be a budget for parts on a 24 year old Jeep.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, the Golf isn't bad, but I don't love it. I got it new in 2014 and I've had it for about 10 years now, it got me through college, then from Florida to California, then back to Florida. I'm really wanting to switch to a manual transmission and an older vehicle that I can learn to work on at home.

I've been driving my dad's 88 Tacoma around town and it really lit a fire in me to make the switch, and I was thinking about compact pickups originally, but then my buddy mentioned this wrangler, and if it works out that would be great. I've also got a friend who needs a car that I can sell my old Golf to for cheap.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, the Golf isn't bad, but I don't love it. I got it new in 2014 and I've had it for about 10 years now, it got me through college, then from Florida to California, then back to Florida. I'm really wanting to switch to a manual transmission and an older vehicle that I can learn to work on at home.

I've been driving my dad's 88 Tacoma around town and it really lit a fire in me to make the switch, and I was thinking about compact pickups originally, but then my buddy mentioned this wrangler, and if it works out that would be great. I've also got a friend who needs a car that I can sell my old Golf to for cheap.

You're a good friend, I try to get as much out of a car I sell as possible, maybe why I don't sell them to friends, ha.

like has been said check the inside of the frame. There's a big hole just forward of the rear tire you can stick a finger in and feel around for roughness or chunks falling out. Another thing to check is does the air change from defrost to vent to floor. take a code reader and check it for codes and pull a car fax to check for accidents and such. what part of GA are you in ?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
looks to be in good shape. what's going on with the top? looking at the interior photo, it seems stretched in a way I'm not used to seeing. you'll definitely have more fun with it than the Golf.

Reactions: JMT
looks to be in good shape. what's going on with the top? looking at the interior photo, it seems stretched in a way I'm not used to seeing. you'll definitely have more fun with it than the Golf.

I had to look at it about 3 times really close and it looks like some sort of added liner, I don't believe it's the top itself

Prices are really low now. I think it's worth $7500-8,000 tops. I've had three 00-01' Jeeps and two of them cracked the heads. Just something to think about.
p.s. The gas tank skid is rusted.

Prices are really low now. I think it's worth $7500-8,000 tops. I've had three 00-01' Jeeps and two of them cracked the heads. Just something to think about.

Booog we all know how you negotiate those great deals on Jeeps :ROFLMAO:
Your asking 10,000 , I'll give you $7000 ! what do you think
1719875019993.png

It is one of those add on mesh tops. Like mine it can stay on even with the soft top on. You can just see the tie to the bar on the windshield.

I've been wanting to get rid of my VW Golf for a while now and get something I can enjoy driving and learn to work on at home, and I found out that a friend of a friend is getting rid of his Wrangler. I'm making plans to go check it out in the next week or two, but I wanted to do a little digging beforehand and came across this forum.

I'd love some preliminary input on the photos I've got, and help with knowing what to check for when I get there (we'll definitely be getting underneath to see the situation). I'm bringing a mechanic friend and his buddy who he said would be perfect to check it out, so I'm not worried about that.

Here's the information my friend forwarded to me:
2000 Wrangler TJ Sport, 4.0 liter, 5 speed manual.
He bought it with about 120k miles from a dealer who got it as a trade in. 158k miles currently, not much offroading or highway driving. Clean title and carfax. some paint blemishes, and could use a new weather seal on the front windshield. Original engine and transmission. 4x4 hi and low both work, came with a set of 30" BFG all terrains when he bought it.

Modifications and Repairs since he's owned it:
2016 - bluetooth radio, new top, shorter rubber antenna, floor light/key in ignition alarm pulled (for door removal)
2017 - added winch and tow hitch, new front brakes and rotors
2018 - new ignition switch, new speakers (and wiring for a sub), new AC/heat blower panel
2019 - new brake lines
2020 - new windshield
2023 - AC recharge, new shocks
2024 - new platinum driveline clutch slave and master cylinder

10k OBO, pictures below:

View attachment 539409
View attachment 539410
View attachment 539411
View attachment 539412
View attachment 539413
View attachment 539414
View attachment 539415
View attachment 539416

Well, a TJ is an amazing experience. I was planning to buy a truck and ended up with a TJ. It was a life-changer.

Check for rust inside the frame.

Prices are dropping. I think $10k is too much with the specs.

$8k max if rust free.

It’s 24 years old. Head issues. Cooling system likely needs replaced. Things will need to be replaced regularly the next 10-20,000 miles. Probably solid. They are easy to work on.

🍻

Reactions: TheBoogieman
like has been said check the inside of the frame. There's a big hole just forward of the rear tire you can stick a finger in and feel around for roughness or chunks falling out. Another thing to check is does the air change from defrost to vent to floor. take a code reader and check it for codes and pull a car fax to check for accidents and such. what part of GA are you in ?

savannah, i've been here about a year, and enjoying it so far! i'm from central florida originally, so it feels pretty close to home climate-wise

Don't forget that you'll double what you're spending g on gas in the VW.
Personally, I'd keep the VW and use it for a commuter. That way, the Jeep can be down for a while when needed.
Mu Jeep is my daily, but I'm looking for a commuter beater and I don't commute far.

I agree. I drive my Jeep daily but bought a $3,000 Scion/Toyota 6 years ago for my driving job. The gas alone paid for the car in 18 months from what I was spending driving the Jeep. 38 mpg highway saves a ton of cash...............to spend on my Jeep. :cool:

Scion.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhass