Console lock/latch options

SgtMajor138

Long-time Jeeper
Supporting Member
My 98 Sahara has the standard console (no sub). I know nothing in a Jeep is very secure as is without going a Tuffy box or something similar. My question to the group is, does anyone know of a replacement lock/latch that would offer more security in the console than the stock setup?

My current latch is broken and the lock doesn't even turn with my ignition key anyway. I would like to replace it (lock/latch) with something else if that adds more security.

I have the exact same issue. I was planning on making something like a hood pin that stuck up through the latch hole. Having a padlock through it might not be very slick looking, but it would be pretty secure.

The console and its lid is a very flexible vinyl/plastic, a stronger lock wouldn't do anything to make it more secure. A screwdriver etc. would easily pop the lid open even with a stronger lock, even if one were available which I'm not aware of any.

The best recommendation I can make is Tuffy's steel console liner which includes a steel reinforced lid. I installed one into my previous '97 and liked it a lot. It maintains the stock padded top on the lid which is nice.

Reactions: SgtMajor138