Constant Grinding Sound.

Roxanne01TJ

Hey all, I have recently just finished a 5.2 magnum swap on my 01 tj. Rebuilt 5.2 magnum mated with an NV3500 Manual trans. NP231 T-case from a Cherokee. I did not touch the trans before installing it because I have never rebuilt a trans before. I did however rebuild the motor and that went flawlessly. Though I could not help but notice a constant grind in every single gear. The transmission itself shifts butter smooth. The sound is more noticeable at high speeds. especially going from 4th gear to 5th gear. When I push the clutch in, taking the torque off the trans, the sound is absolutely terrifying. But shifts butter smooth. I'm thinking I might have to rebuild the trans, but I'm not too sure yet. Any suggestions? Maybe input shaft bearing?

UPDATE... I have the front driveshaft out at the moment too. I went from 2hi, 4 hi, N, and 4L and the front yoke on the tcase spins in every mode...

So would that be normal?
I don't know for sure but to me, that its front output shaft spins in 2Hi, 4Hi, Neutral, and 4Lo indicates it's either being spun by parasitic drag or the tcase shifter is not working due to perhaps the linkage is slipping and it's not really shifting into the different ranges.

I don't know for sure but to me, that its front output shaft spins in 2Hi, 4Hi, Neutral, and 4Lo indicates it's either being spun by parasitic drag or the tcase shifter is not working due to perhaps the linkage is slipping and it's not really shifting into the different ranges.
I do not have the linkage in at the moment. Im manually shifting it from under the jeep.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Okay I had a 5.2 V-8 in my TJ but went with a 44RE auto transmission.

The front yoke spinning as Jerry said might be parasitic drag and the only way to try and confirm would be to try and stop it from spinning.

Did you buy the NV3550 used? Junkyard or? I'm going to guess you had a 4 cyl and went to the V-8.

In your first post you stated it made noise before you installed it?

It isn't a 100% conclusive but when the transfer case is in neutral does it make noise?

All the clutch parts are new? And you said that when you push the clutch in it is louder?
Just a stab in the dark but it sound like the input shaft bearing but I am not sure.

If you are considering having it rebuilt I would also look into get a remanufactured transmission and see what the difference in price it.

The front yoke spinning as Jerry said might be parasitic drag and the only way to try and confirm would be to try and stop it from spinning.

Did you buy the NV3550 used? Junkyard or? I'm going to guess you had a 4 cyl and went to the V-8.

It isn't a 100% conclusive but when the transfer case is in neutral does it make noise?

All the clutch parts are new? And you said that when you push the clutch in it is louder?
Just a stab in the dark but it sound like the input shaft bearing but I am not sure.

If you are considering having it rebuilt I would also look into get a remanufactured transmission and see what the difference in price it.
Okay so I started tearing into the jeep last night after work, i took the driveshaft off and the noise was still there. I took the tcase off and the noise went away. So im thinking something inside the tcase?

I did confirm that it was parasitic drag.
The NV3500 came from the same truck I took the engine out of.
When the t-case is in neutral it does make noise, but with the t-case removed it does not make a noise.
All the clutch parts are new and installed correctly. When I push the clutch in it does get louder but only with the vehicle moving. When stopped, nothing happens.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I did confirm that it was parasitic drag.
The NV3500 came from the same truck I took the engine out of.
When the t-case is in neutral it does make noise, but with the t-case removed it does not make a noise.
All the clutch parts are new and installed correctly. When I push the clutch in it does get louder but only with the vehicle moving. When stopped, nothing happens.

Okay so if the noise has gone away with the transfer case removed any chance it's something in it? Can you put the transfer case in 4HI or LO and turn the front yoke and get any noise?

But you also said your NV3500 made some noise when being turned by hand?

Okay so if the noise has gone away with the transfer case removed any chance it's something in it? Can you put the transfer case in 4HI or LO and turn the front yoke and get any noise?

But you also said your NV3500 made some noise when being turned by hand?
i took the chain out of the t-case and popped it back in to see if it made any noise. also went ahead and filled it with all new fluid. still makes the constant sound in all tcase settings. thinking i might need to grab another tcase.

i took the chain out of the t-case and popped it back in to see if it made any noise. also went ahead and filled it with all new fluid. still makes the constant sound in all tcase settings. thinking i might need to grab another tcase.

WOW that kind of sucks.

What happened to the t-case that was in the truck behind the NV3500?

WOW that kind of sucks.

What happened to the t-case that was in the truck behind the NV3500?
Actually the t-case itself was from the pick and pull. So what happened to it is beyond me. The tcase that was in the truck was a 242 and wouldnt work with my tj drive shaft so I just grabbed another. I have another 231J lined up for me at my local jeep salvage yard.

Reactions: Wildman
KEWL let's HOPE this next one is okay.

Did you say that the NV3500 made some noise when you turned it by hand? A bunch? A little? What kind of noise?

Reactions: Roxanne01TJ
the nv3500 did not make any noise when turning it by hand. I thought it might have been the trans at first but thankfully not.

OK that is great news.

Hope you can get your new t-case soon. They are fun to drive with a V-8 in them.