Construction entertainment, albeit not cheap

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
The idiots that built our house decided that water management wasn't even a suggestion, it was to be completely ignored. As such, I have had to repair massive amounts of stuff due to rot and more rot from water.
We have a walkway that is 4 feet wide and goes from ground level at the front door that then turns into a raised walkway starting at the end of the driveway, goes across the front of the house and then down the side for 90-100 feet or so.
I'm buried so I hire a contractor to rebuild it. Watching him and his brother work is sad, entertaining, infuriating and frustrating all at the same time. On one section of the deck where the fireplace juts out onto the deck, we sistered the existing cantilevered joists and had to block around the fireplace to deck juncture for plywood backing. I explain to Brother that it has to have blocking, point, and I think he's got it. About 30 minutes later, I look and he has one block cut 24" long to go down the end, but the joist bay is too narrow to get the nail gun in and or swing a hammer.

He starts 4 nails and says he is going to bring back a palm nailer after lunch. They leave for lunch, I hop on the ladder with my screw gun, some construction Torx drive screws, pull his nails, run the block in where it goes and then have my help cut and toss me the next 4 that go across the long face of the fireplace. We get all of them measured, cut, and installed in less than 10 minutes.

Yesterday, they had 3 sheets of 3/4" ACX ply to cut and install. I explain again that I want it to overhang the rim joist continuous by 1 1/2" because I want the top edge of the belly band fascia to be nailed in place at the top edge through the ply. It took them 7 hours to cut and run the ply. It is literally a 2 hour job.

It is getting done they way I want it (mostly) but it is beyond painful to both watch and pay for.

Across the front, we had to form and pour some Sonotube column bases. Nothing extreme, just basic 12" round columns on a smallish footing 18 x 18 x 18 with about 1-3' of exposed column. The first one in line was 3'. Brother and boss ignored me when I said the form has to be braced off, mix, pour, float off the top, call it good. They grabbed the Fast Set mix. Brother mixes, poured and I caught him slapping the sides of the form and shaking it apparently to get the mix to settle. They left for the day and I tossed a level on it to check plumb and the form full of set up concrete wiggled. I pushed it over by hand. The lack of bracing, rebar, and his shaking snapped off the column where it met the footing.

How do you manage to keep your cool? If I were paying those guys I'd be so damn furious, I can't even explain. "Here's $100 for your time considering that I now have to go out and repair all your F ups. now get the hell off my property!"

Reactions: reddvltj
How do you manage to keep your cool? If I were paying those guys I'd be so damn furious, I can't even explain. "Here's $100 for your time considering that I now have to go out and repair all your F ups. now get the hell off my property!"
They speak English, they are tolerant of my demands even if I do have to repeat myself often. They are willing to work, they show up on time, they tell me if they are going to be late, or have to drop a day here and there to work elsewhere. They pick up after themselves, fetch up materials on an as needed basis, and the Boss is not a complete idiot. He actually gets it. But, they do not know how to work as a team. They are fairly clueless on tolerances. Blocks need to be tight, pressure blocks need to be tighter. Fasteners in pressure blocking need to be a certain way or they aren't functioning as pressure blocks. Plywood on decks that are going to be covered with waterproof decking and deck metal can have 1/2" gaps and they don't need 1/16" gaps. The key point is they are getting done and I can do what I need to do.

I don't pay for mistakes. He said he grabbed an extra sheet of ply in case of a mistake. I told him "YOU" grabbed an extra sheet, I ain't paying for it and he agreed. It is a fine balance of wanting to chase them off with a big stick and gratitude that it will get done before the rainy season starts.

The roof is a flat roof behind a parapet perimeter. There are 10 roof drains. All but 3 drained onto the deck because the drains were at the outer edge of the soffit. I have rerouted them to over against the house wall, down through the soffit and dumping into leader heads that will go to downspouts into under ground drains or onto a non erodible surface. (concrete) The 3 that didn't drain onto the deck, drained onto the ground next to deck posts that held up the rear of the house. They rotted and the back of the house settled 3". I jacked it back up a couple years ago and replaced all the inground concrete bases with elevated bases out of the dirt.

They speak English, they are tolerant of my demands even if I do have to repeat myself often. They are willing to work, they show up on time, they tell me if they are going to be late, or have to drop a day here and there to work elsewhere. They pick up after themselves, fetch up materials on an as needed basis, and the Boss is not a complete idiot. He actually gets it. But, they do not know how to work as a team. They are fairly clueless on tolerances. Blocks need to be tight, pressure blocks need to be tighter. Fasteners in pressure blocking need to be a certain way or they aren't functioning as pressure blocks. Plywood on decks that are going to be covered with waterproof decking and deck metal can have 1/2" gaps and they don't need 1/16" gaps. The key point is they are getting done and I can do what I need to do.

I don't pay for mistakes. He said he grabbed an extra sheet of ply in case of a mistake. I told him "YOU" grabbed an extra sheet, I ain't paying for it and he agreed. It is a fine balance of wanting to chase them off with a big stick and gratitude that it will get done before the rainy season starts.

The roof is a flat roof behind a parapet perimeter. There are 10 roof drains. All but 3 drained onto the deck because the drains were at the outer edge of the soffit. I have rerouted them to over against the house wall, down through the soffit and dumping into leader heads that will go to downspouts into under ground drains or onto a non erodible surface. (concrete) The 3 that didn't drain onto the deck, drained onto the ground next to deck posts that held up the rear of the house. They rotted and the back of the house settled 3". I jacked it back up a couple years ago and replaced all the inground concrete bases with elevated bases out of the dirt.

I feel your pain. 35 years working to nuclear standards has made me into a precision seeking, maniac with regard to quality, materials and working standards.

I feel your pain. 35 years working to nuclear standards has made me into a precision seeking, maniac with regard to quality, materials and working standards.
I know enough about construction to define the line between building a piano and building a birdhouse out of popsicle sticks. There is a level of quality that shows you are a good craftsman that pays attention to details without being consumed by them.

The exterior is covered with an engineered siding product. They ran it on the fire place surround that pops out onto the deck. The majority of the siding is lined up correctly but for some reason when it got to this section, it is 2" higher on one side than the other. If I wanted piano quality, I would have to rip off the siding on one wall that is 60 feet long and redo it. If I do that, the shingle board comes off under the siding and I have to go through and redo the layout to 16" on center for the studs, run 1/2" CDX ply, and wrap it before running all new side just to fix a 2" mess that has been that way forever. I don't have the money or time for that, so I just don't look at it.

I know enough about construction to define the line between building a piano and building a birdhouse out of popsicle sticks. There is a level of quality that shows you are a good craftsman that pays attention to details without being consumed by them.

The exterior is covered with an engineered siding product. They ran it on the fire place surround that pops out onto the deck. The majority of the siding is lined up correctly but for some reason when it got to this section, it is 2" higher on one side than the other. If I wanted piano quality, I would have to rip off the siding on one wall that is 60 feet long and redo it. If I do that, the shingle board comes off under the siding and I have to go through and redo the layout to 16" on center for the studs, run 1/2" CDX ply, and wrap it before running all new side just to fix a 2" mess that has been that way forever. I don't have the money or time for that, so I just don't look at it.

Best just not look at it. That kind of shit drives me crazy but sometimes you just have to live with it as other things have a higher priority.

Sometimes it’s a curse to be able to see something and know it’s not done right.
I broke out in construction doing high end custom homes. We would move on site to dig the footings for the foundations and leave when the owners moved in. We did everything from the concrete to the finish work with the exception of HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. The one below is a sample of what we did. After a few of those, very little doesn't have some flaw that is noticed.

This is one of them we built from the ground up.
goldman 1.PNG

That is the top floor of a massive 2 story built going down a hill. Below is what it looks like from the street going up the hill
goldman 2.PNG

This is the view going back down the hill to the Coast Highway in Laguna.
goldman 3.PNG

You can get peeks of what our view was daily during the build. The house on the right was not there.
goldman 4.PNG

Reactions: psrivats
I'll see if I can dig up an overhead shot of the last one we did in Tustin. 7000 square feet.View attachment 123005
Man, those are impressive houses with equally impressive views.
Up here in Alberta it is more typical for homes to be built with separate trades for everything, concrete guys, framers, roofers, painters, finishers, drywallers etc. I’m a finisher usually working in million dollar plus homes and the amount of hacked up shit I see daily is mind boggling to say the least.

Man, those are impressive houses with equally impressive views.
Up here in Alberta it is more typical for homes to be built with separate trades for everything, concrete guys, framers, roofers, painters, finishers, drywallers etc. I’m a finisher usually working in million dollar plus homes and the amount of hacked up shit I see daily is mind boggling to say the least.
It is the same here, just not the way my uncle did it. We poured the concrete, but we hire a couple of finishers to help but we did do the finishing. That side of my family was into concrete in a big way. Poured in place barracks on Camp Pendleton, lots of runways.