Contemplating a sale after a rookie frame repair mistake

I also live near by (even closer than Irun). Bring it over to the house and we can take a look. I am in agreement, the BS undercoating needs to come off, once that is off paint with good ole Rustoleum, let that cure for a week or so then spray everything with Fluid Film (I do the Fluid film twice a year on my LJ and my '96 F350).

I agree Jerry, I thought the same. Probably save a lot of time over a wire wheel, especially in the nooks and crannies because it looks like they coated EVERYTHING. Coils, shocks, gas tank, etc. Nate you may even want to consider using a solvent to help loosen it up if it puts up a fight. I don't know the implications of that though so take my advice with a grain of salt. Mothers makes a decent rubber remover. I use it on my GTO to remove burnout rubber and even took off some plastidip with it in the past.
You may want to be careful with that stuff getting on hoses and what nots.
I cant really see were they made a weld, no seams but maybee my eyes aren't great.
My frame was completely roached I went with SaftyCaps. I was able to use my mechanics lift. cut and clean out the rust while he welded them in.
I am way deep in this jeep and would not get rid of it know but if I could go back I woulda sold it. Live and learn "roll up your sleeves or open your wallet" in most cases its both🤣

My earlier post about the Fluid Film was because I thought the undercoating was done to the inside of the frame. The F-F should still be put in there no matter what. @Jerry Bransford 's idea of pressure washing would probably do most of the outside. It will also take away the semi loose rust that looks like it may still be there in various places. If you don't have a pressure washer, $10 at a decent quarter car wash should do it. (HA! Quarter car wash! How friggin' old am I?)

While you do have some thick flakes of rust between the skid plate and frame, it's a good sign that the bolts holding it in place were able to be loosened without causing bigger problems. Loosening them again while doing the pressure wash will let you get whatever is left of those flakes out of there.

A couple suggestions to help that area for the future:

Sanding and painting both the frame and the skid plate where they touch.

Putting a nice coating of F-F on both before tightening it back up should be done before every winter and even summer if you hit the ocean beach. Do it even if the sanding and painting doesn't happen.

Smear some anti seize on the bolt threads to keep them from rusting in place. F-F will also stop that rusting but I don't know how it affects bolts in use. FWIW, I used F-F on a couple of mine and will see how they are next month when I loosen up my skid plate to do my yearly F-F dose for winter.

Sounds like you have a good plan provided.

You said you paid a good chunk for the TJ, would take a bath, and other than this undercoat you’re good to go, so keep it, do these things and get going.

Follow the suggestions, get it off, rattle can those areas with Rustoleum black or whatever, and get to building it, minor bump in the road and you’ve got a 4x4, ha.

Reactions: Hopper
Yeah as mentioned I expected a much worse frame, those pics don't look bad for a salt zone. Maybe where the patch is it was/is much worse but what you show can be fixed.

Last edited:
I agree Jerry, I thought the same. Probably save a lot of time over a wire wheel, especially in the nooks and crannies because it looks like they coated EVERYTHING. Coils, shocks, gas tank, etc. Nate you may even want to consider using a solvent to help loosen it up if it puts up a fight. I don't know the implications of that though so take my advice with a grain of salt. Mothers makes a decent rubber remover. I use it on my GTO to remove burnout rubber and even took off some plastidip with it in the past.
Thanks! That's helpful advice and recommendation!

Reactions: Ryanoceros
Sounds like you have a good plan provided.

You said you paid a good chunk for the TJ, would take a bath, and other than this undercoat you’re good to go, so keep it, do these things and get going.

Follow the suggestions, get it off, rattle can those areas with Rustoleum black or whatever, and get to building it, minor bump in the road and you’ve got a 4x4, ha.

Appreciate the optimism /encouragement and glass half full outlook!

I also live near by (even closer than Irun). Bring it over to the house and we can take a look. I am in agreement, the BS undercoating needs to come off, once that is off paint with good ole Rustoleum, let that cure for a week or so then spray everything with Fluid Film (I do the Fluid film twice a year on my LJ and my '96 F350).

Thanks. That's really nice offer to let me stop by so you can have a look. I'll hit you up. Much appreciated!

My earlier post about the Fluid Film was because I thought the undercoating was done to the inside of the frame. The F-F should still be put in there no matter what. @Jerry Bransford 's idea of pressure washing would probably do most of the outside. It will also take away the semi loose rust that looks like it may still be there in various places. If you don't have a pressure washer, $10 at a decent quarter car wash should do it. (HA! Quarter car wash! How friggin' old am I?)

While you do have some thick flakes of rust between the skid plate and frame, it's a good sign that the bolts holding it in place were able to be loosened without causing bigger problems. Loosening them again while doing the pressure wash will let you get whatever is left of those flakes out of there.

A couple suggestions to help that area for the future:

Sanding and painting both the frame and the skid plate where they touch.

Putting a nice coating of F-F on both before tightening it back up should be done before every winter and even summer if you hit the ocean beach. Do it even if the sanding and painting doesn't happen.

Smear some anti seize on the bolt threads to keep them from rusting in place. F-F will also stop that rusting but I don't know how it affects bolts in use. FWIW, I used F-F on a couple of mine and will see how they are next month when I loosen up my skid plate to do my yearly F-F dose for winter.

Quarter car wash! That would be my nephew lol! This is great advice. Thanks much. I was hesitant to post, but so glad I did. Really appreciate all the feedback forum members provided.

First, I'd do my best to get some kind of refund from that jank repair shop.
Buy a 20 dollar grinder at HF, a high speed wire wheel from big box and get after it. If you use a thin paint (not the rubber crap) you can generally see/ catch rust quickly and repair it. W/ the rubberized stuff, it may be years before you see it, then it's too late.

If I were in your shoes I’d search for a rust free frame for a future frame swap. Sounds like yours will last at least a few years now so it will give you time to find one.
If you want it to last long term a nice rust free frame would be an excellent platform

Thanks for the reply and idea!

First, I'd do my best to get some kind of refund from that jank repair shop.
Buy a 20 dollar grinder at HF, a high speed wire wheel from big box and get after it. If you use a thin paint (not the rubber crap) you can generally see/ catch rust quickly and repair it. W/ the rubberized stuff, it may be years before you see it, then it's too late.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'll leave a review of the repair shop. They failed at value-add. They're suppose to be the experts and I feel like they used really poor judgment and viewed me as a money grab vs a customer who cares about his vehicle and appreciates good, honest service.

I'm not far from you and, if you're willing to take a Saturday or Sunday cruise to the country, I'd be happy to take a look at the Jeep for you. If you're interested, send me a message with your phone number and we'll work something out.
Thanks for the offer! Great to know that I can reach out. And I'm always down for a drive to the country. Much appreciated.

This stuff will take that undercoating off without scraping. A car wash hose alone won't take it off. I bought a Jeep that the PO sprayed that crap on. I dumped the Goof Off Pro strength remover on it and the undercoating dripped off. You would need a brush to spread it. My Jeep had slight rust at the skid plate from water sitting there between the skid and frame. I dropped the skid enough to clean it up and painted my entire frame with Walmart cheapo stop rust paint ($1 a can) and drilled 4 drain holes in the frame, so any water just drips out.
p.s. That rust didn't look that bad.View attachment 191598

Thanks Boogieman for the suggestion / tip and the detail. Much appreciated. Nice picture, btw. Frame looks great.

View attachment 191601View attachment 191602

Reactions: TheBoogieman