Control Arm Advice Needed

dogfoodboy

TJ Enthusiast
The Green LJ is still sloppy and I am thinking the rubber in the control arms may be the culprit. There are also Skyjacker lowers in the front/back. They look tough until you see the skyjacker sticker...

Would you...

1. Ditch the Skyjackers and replace with Crown OEM Style?
2. Keep the Skyjackers and get new bushings?

I'm thinking about new Crown OEM Uppers + Bushing and maybe adjustable in the back upper to tweek pinion angle for smooth operation. It seems people prefer not to use poly for these due to roughness

I've had skyjacker arms in my tj for 7 years and wheeled all the hardcore shit around reno, norcal west texas and nm and have never had an issue...... they are rock rashed to hell and back. Never broke em..... 🤷‍♂️

Check out the holes in your frame mounts where the control arm bolts go through. Those Skyjacker control arms have little to no flexibility in them. That leads to the holes getting elongated. I’ve heard on here they can even cause the mounts to want to twist off the frame but I haven’t seen that personally. My Skyjacker arms just wore the bolt holes out terribly. Before I’d replace the bushings I’d replace them with OEM arms if stock lengths work for you.

Check out the holes in your frame mounts where the control arm bolts go through. Those Skyjacker control arms have little to no flexibility in them. That leads to the holes getting elongated. I’ve heard on here they can even cause the mounts to want to twist off the frame but I haven’t seen that personally. My Skyjacker arms just wore the bolt holes out terribly. Before I’d replace the bushings I’d replace them with OEM arms if stock lengths work for you.
Interesting...I'll take a peek and see if thats an issue or even looseness like pickle suggested

There was a heavy clunk when shifting and/or let off gas. There was some rear end noise and alot of the rubber on this car is rotten, so it will all get replaced eventually. I was really surprised how much better it got...too bad I made 2 changes at once and don't know which one was the solution.

The sjacker bolts are tight and not rounded out

I was learning to drive very gently...

Its a rubicon LJ, so yes on SYE. I have the OME 2" HD Springs + a 3/4" spacer up front and no spacer in the back.

The old mount looked ok to me, but I also don't know what it should look like. The new mount is a poly mount and a square block

IMG_20210710_165542855.jpg

IMG_20210710_165547639.jpg

Cool stuff, I'm not to far from you so if you ever need help PM me. I work in south reno. You may get vibration off that poly mount but the crack next to the red line to the right looks like the problem. Like I said PM me if you need anything!

20210712_072927.jpg