Convertible Doors recommendation

Aloha Joe

TJ Enthusiast
I keep the metal doors off basically year-round. Unfortunately the ladies don't seem to enjoy the noise, wind, and mist as much as I do :/ So, I want to find convertible doors that I can stash in the back and use when needed. I have an 05 Rubicon with the rear seat removed and an enclosure built around the cargo area.

Are there any decent options that will fit laying flat in the cargo area?
What is the smallest, lightest recommended option?

Edit: I probably need to have windows or a top half to the door.

Thanks!

Last edited:
they're are soft 1/2 doors, as well as some tube doors that have covers.
some aluminum trail doors would look real sweet.

soft doors are just a wire frame and a canvas cover, very light.

UCF, Savvy, and GenRight all offer aluminum trail doors, the UCF doors have an option for mounting uppers on them.

I also have the Bestop soft half doors, run them all summer. I pull them off and stand them behind the drivers seat, and they stay there unless it is calling for rain. My daughter can still fit in the back seat on the passenger side. They are sized just like the steel half doors with removable uppers. Super light weight.

The only issues I have with them is they leak in the rain, and the tops will pull away from the body while on the highway if the windows are on and zipped up. But the ability to have the doors with me all the time overcomes those issues. I leave my full steel doors in the garage until it gets too cold to ride doorless.

Edited to add: I picked mine up used on Craigslist for $125.

Reactions: Aloha Joe
I also have the Bestop soft half doors, run them all summer. I pull them off and stand them behind the drivers seat, and they stay there unless it is calling for rain. My daughter can still fit in the back seat on the passenger side. They are sized just like the steel half doors with removable uppers. Super light weight.

The only issues I have with them is they leak in the rain, and the tops will pull away from the body while on the highway if the windows are on and zipped up. But the ability to have the doors with me all the time overcomes those issues. I leave my full steel doors in the garage until it gets too cold to ride doorless.

Edited to add: I picked mine up used on Craigslist for $125.
Have ya done any adjustments on then so they don’t pull away on the highway? Or friend to bend them inwards a bit? None of mine or my friends do that

Have ya done any adjustments on then so they don’t pull away on the highway? Or friend to bend them inwards a bit? None of mine or my friends do that

I have not. Any tips on how/where to bend them at? Do they stay sealed up for you at 75 on the highway?

I have not. Any tips on how/where to bend them at? Do they stay sealed up for you at 75 on the highway?
I have these doors and bent them a little and they still pull away on the highway about 1 -2 inches. I just pulled on the top part until you can see a bit of a curve and honestly thought it was perfectly fine. I guess I could bend them a little more aggressively but I don't think eliminating it will be possible and it really does not bother me.

The only downside is they do leak a little if I park on an incline due to water coming in along the window hinge. The seal is thick and does a good job but that intersection is a challenge.