Cool Finds at the World's Longest Yard Sale

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
So I took a few hours and went to the Worlds Longest Yard Sale this weekend up near the cabin. I got some new old stock Winchester 32-20 ammo for my Winchester Model 1873, I also got some modern Hornady hunting ammo for my Steyr Model 1895 in 8x56r. But two of the coolest finds were these:

I picked up this picture of downtown Fort Payne from 1889. If you have ever been to Fort Payne this is looking north on Gault Avenue (Highway 11) at the intersection of 5th street (Highway 35) You turn right at that intersection to go up the mountain and over to Little River Canyon and the Canyon Falls. The only building that is still standing today (and looks almost exactly the same) is the Coal and Iron building and the Oprah house beyond on the Northwest corner of the intersection. The large building to the left was the Dekalb Hotel built in 1889. Unfortunately It burned in 1918. I believe it is in the Romanesque Revival style that was popular in the Victorian era. The park to the right on the Southeast corner of the intersection is still in existence today. Statues of the band Alabama are currently at the southern corner of the park.

50203911988_bd4e91c8f7_h.jpg

The other cool item I found was this Dietzgen Builder's Level circa about 1926. It is fully functional and came with the sun shade, screwdriver for adjustment, wooden box and tripod. I plan on cleaning it up and using it. When it's not in use I plan on displaying it at the cabin. Bought it for $60.

50209603443_ed5ec231eb_h.jpg

Awesome finds! That level is very interesting

I was pretty stoked to find them.

Of course I also found some vintage wrought iron Chaise Lounges for stargazing and for the ladies to sunbath on our upper deck. So I ended up spending most of my day yesterday disassembling then, sanding them and painting them. About halfway through that project, I was cussing myself for bringing the stupid things home. But it's done now except for putting them all back together. So it's all good. Got to get some cushions ordered...

Man that is a cool pic of Fort Payne!!

Surprised you didn't pick up any Alabama (the group) collectables...... I am sure there were alot of velvet paintings. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Sorry I couldn't resist.

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
Man that is a cool pic of Fort Payne!!

Surprised you didn't pick up any Alabama (the group) collectables...... I am sure there were alot of velvet paintings. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Sorry I couldn't resist.

A few years back when Mrs. Irish and I were building our cabin. We stayed in our tiny cabin, which is now my shop. Mrs. Irish called it "glamping." One day we were eating breakfast at a local dive in Adamsburg. In walks Randy Owen. (He's the lead singer for the band Alabama for those that don't know.)

We are in the booth and I'm facing away from the front. Mrs. Irish gets all googly eyed and nudges my foot...

"It's Randy Owen!" She whispers loudly.
"Well... why don't you go up and say 'Hi'?"
"No way. I don't have a stitch of makeup on!"
"Well, Honey, I think he's already spoken for." :D

Those guys all still live up here and by all accounts are still just good ol' laid back country boys. Randy's daughters runs a market that sells beef and other products from their farm. It's just a couple of miles from our cabin.

A few years back when Mrs. Irish and I were building our cabin. We stayed in our tiny cabin, which is now my shop. Mrs. Irish called it "glamping." One day we were eating breakfast at a local dive in Adamsburg. In walks Randy Owen. (He's the lead singer for the band Alabama for those that don't know.)

We are in the booth and I'm facing away from the front. Mrs. Irish gets all googly eyed and nudges my foot...

"It's Randy Owen!" She whispers loudly.
"Well... why don't you go up and say 'Hi'?"
"No way. I don't have a stitch of makeup on!"
"Well, Honey, I think he's already spoken for." :D

Those guys all still live up here and by all accounts are still just good ol' laid back country boys. Randy's daughters runs a market that sells beef and other products from their farm. It's just a couple of miles from our cabin.
Yep they are all just good folks!!