Coolant Leak

Camdenst

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good afternoon gang. I have getting a very intermittent coolant leak for the past few months and could not for the life of me track it down. I'll randomly get a spot, maybe 3-4in round in the garage with no visible source. A drop or two on the track bar or tie rod.

I found this discoloration at the bottom of the radiator on the same side as the spots. Could this be the source?

20211002_152544.jpg

20211002_152000.jpg

20211002_152019.jpg

Clean up the spots you have on the floor and let it sit for a few hours or overnight and look up directly over the spot it left and that could help you find the source. I did that a few days ago because mine was leaking and found out its a freeze plug. Lucky me.

Maybe

Try to look behind and below the pump pulley

Thanks for the ideas. The trouble is it’s so inconsistent, there is no real rhyme or reason. The only time I saw it repeated in one day was during August heat and Italian tune up.

I just had once recently that was. It was leaking in that same spot. The hose was old and the constant tension clamp just wouldn't seal. A new hose solved the problem. The housing was actually in perfect condition, I got a new one but just did the hose. A new clamp might have worked but finding those factory clamps is a pain for me.

I just fixed one that I was certain was the pump but just to be lazy I changed the gasket on the thermostat and the leak went away.