Cooler Behind a TJ Rear Seat?

Legit made an account to comment on this thread. I've been doing a ton of research and thought I would share my findings.

First of all - cooler technology has come a long way in the last several years. Let's face it, most decent hard coolers will never fit in our shoebox sized trunk. Lucky for us, the world of soft coolers have also evolved dramatically. With an assortment of shapes and sizes (and the fact that they are malleable) seems to be the right solution for us.

Two coolers really stand out as exceptional:
1) Yeti Hopper Two 40 ($350; 40 quarts)
2) Engel HD30 ($200; 32 quarts)

The HD30 is the most efficient soft cooler on the market right now. Independently tested, it's ice retention is 3-4 days in direct sunlight. That rivals most rotomolded coolers and will easily blow the thin plastic coolers out of the water.

The Yeti Hopper Two 40 holds ice closer to 3 days (independently tested), but comes in a wedge shape and holds 10 quarts more. Should fit like a glove.

Both of these coolers have dimensions that are "close enough" to fit in our trunks. I have a Yeti Hopper Two 40 on order currently (WOOT ran a deal today for $245). When it arrives, I'll post up how it fits!

Alright everyone. The Hopper Two 40 arrived today, and I'm happy to report it fits like a GLOVE.

Seriously. There can't be a better wedge shaped cooler that fits the contour of the TJ'S trunk PERFECTLY. Not to mention the construction on this thing is seriously over engineered. Should last several lifetimes.

Bear in mind the cooler is empty, so I might loose some space once it's filled, but I don't expect the dimensions to change all that much.

Enough chit chat. Here are some pics:

29763839-A27A-44D5-90EB-17F66B0AEC24.jpeg

B7278263-4277-4E74-8FEB-1C7CF5AFBC82.jpeg

6CF2F583-32D3-49BF-B81A-13DE7C74471F.jpeg

Alright everyone. The Hopper Two 40 arrived today, and I'm happy to report it fits like a GLOVE.

Seriously. There can't be a better wedge shaped cooler that fits the contour of the TJ'S trunk PERFECTLY. Not to mention the construction on this thing is seriously over engineered. Should last several lifetimes.

Bear in mind the cooler is empty, so I might loose some space once it's filled, but I don't expect the dimensions to change all that much.

Enough chit chat. Here are some pics:
Those are definitely a perfect fit for our TJ’s. Can’t argue with that! Nice purchase. Great research.

Reactions: ShredAZ
I'm currently in the middle of running an ice retention test with the Yeti using 20lbs of ice.
There are plenty of independent ice retention tests online documenting worst-case scenarios. The Yeti Hopper will retain ice for around 3 days in 90+ degree whether.
I'm going to run a "best" case scenario test keeping the cooler indoors at 75 degree weather. Typically speaking, those are the average temps the cooler will see riding in my trunk or sitting in the shade out in the forest.
I'm very optimistic that I will be able to permanently replace my hard cooler with the Hopper.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Reactions: zebra12
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.