Cooling fan blowing air away from motor

Nilka

Jeep started over heating randomly with my coolant boiling completely out checked everything started the jeep after refilling to burp it and I noticed the cooling fan blowing air towards the front of the jeep and under the jeep not towards the motor. I checked the serpentine belt and it's in right what else can cause the fan to blow air out and not towards the motor

First, I have to ask. How can the fan blow in 2 opposite directions, under the Jeep and towards the front of the Jeep. How can it blow under the Jeep but not towards the motor? Not following that at all.

For now, I assume you mean it is blowing towards the front of the Jeep instead of towards the motor, basically pushing air through the radiator instead of pulling air through the radiator?

If the belt is on right, the only possible explanation I can think of is that the fan was replaced with 1 designed for rotation opposite your OEM fan. Unless your engine is running backwards! Pleas post a picture of your fan at rest.

So unless you have changed something recently, the fan may not be as it should be but is probably not the cause of your overheating.

In the old days, before serpentine belts, fans rotated in the same direction as the crank and everything else on the front of the motor, generally clockwise looking at the front of the motor. With serpentine belts, fans can rotate in either direction depending on the design of the whole collection of driven components and the belt routing. So now when you replace a fan, you have to be sure to get 1 designed for the correct rotation. Could your fan have been replaced?

Reactions: Daryl
Mine does the same thing it's a 2000 4.0 I've replaced everything from water pump,radiator hoses, thermostat and fan clutch except the actual fan blade. With the hood open you can feel behind the blade and its not blowing on the motor, it's drawing air from the front but just blowing outward from the fan shroud not blowing it directly at the engine. No idea why anyone know?

The air is flowing the correct direction. With the hood closed take a plastic grocery bad and put in near your grill, it'll stick meaning the air is flowing correctly. When you have the hood open and you stick your hand near the fan you are not feeling the air flow direction at all, just turbulence.

Reactions: MikeE024
The air is flowing the correct direction. With the hood closed take a plastic grocery bad and put in near your grill, it'll stick meaning the air is flowing correctly. When you have the hood open and you stick your hand near the fan you are not feeling the air flow direction at all, just turbulence.

With the hood open I can put something in front of the radiator and it's drawing good just don't understand why the fan blade doesn't blow straight towards the engine even with the hood open. The blade sticks halfway out of the shroud and seems to just be slinging the air outwards so when it's sitting it gets hot it's pulling through the radiator but not blowing at the engine just creates, as you said, turbulence in the engine compartment instead of blowing at the engine I've never seen that before and I've had alot of vehicles.

The fan is powerful so it really makes a mess of the air out the back. I'd check reverse rotation or flow of the fan off your list and move on to the next step.

I had an overheating problem that blew my radiator so I replaced everything in the coolant system even the overflow bottle I was at a friend's a few days ago idling for about 10 minutes and the temperature was climbing over 220 but was fine while driving. I had even put a high flow 180 thermostat in to keep the temp down and held temp fine until sitting idling

Put the 195 thermostat back in and replace the radiator cap. After that I'd do a chemical flush with Prestone or Thermocure and then pressure test both the new cap and your system to see if it holds pressure. Good luck, cooling system problems can be a pain.

Reactions: xXDavidCXx
Ok thanks
Put the 195 thermostat back in and replace the radiator cap. After that I'd do a chemical flush with Prestone or Thermocure and then pressure test both the new cap and your system to see if it holds pressure. Good luck, cooling system problems can be a pain.

20220818_163151.jpg

... I had even put a high flow 180 thermostat in to keep the temp down and held temp fine until sitting idling
Installing a lower temperature thermostat than the engineers designed the cooling system for will NEVER cause or help an engine that is running too hot to run cooler. A thermostat doesn't have that ability, its sole jobs it is capable of handling include 1) setting the engine's minimum operating temperature in cold conditions and 2) helping the engine to warm up more quickly. Helping a hot engine run cooler in warm or hot conditions? Nope it can't do that. That's up solely to the radiator and cooling fan, they're the only components with that capability.

Reactions: xXDavidCXx
I had an overheating problem that blew my radiator so I replaced everything in the coolant system even the overflow bottle I was at a friend's a few days ago idling for about 10 minutes and the temperature was climbing over 220 but was fine while driving.

Cool when driving, hot idling; can be the fan clutch.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford