Cooling fan blowing air away from motor

Had an issue with overheating with electric fan pushing air instead of pulling air. Bought an after Market fan and had to splice connector to fit. Upon doing so reversed the positive with the negative which led to fan rotating in the opposite direction. Redid wiring and now no more overheating. Make sure electric fan is pulling air from the outside in and not pushing the hot engine cabin air out through radiator. I’m an idiot. Lol

Unless your engine is running backwards!

Now all I can think of is why an engine rotates in the direction that it does, and if it could be made to run backward?

I guess it turns the direction that it does because the starter spins it in that direction? But what happens during a roll start? So maybe it's not because of the starter.

It's probably because of the crankshaft somehow, but I can't visualize all of it moving to really prove it out.

The air is flowing the correct direction. With the hood closed take a plastic grocery bad and put in near your grill, it'll stick meaning the air is flowing correctly. When you have the hood open and you stick your hand near the fan you are not feeling the air flow direction at all, just turbulence.

This is what I was going to say

Reactions: MikeE024
Now all I can think of is why an engine rotates in the direction that it does, and if it could be made to run backward?

I guess it turns the direction that it does because the starter spins it in that direction? But what happens during a roll start? So maybe it's not because of the starter.

It's probably because of the crankshaft somehow, but I can't visualize all of it moving to really prove it out.

Camshaft. If you try to spin it backwards it would be pulling from the exhaust and blowing out the intake. A custom cam with the lobes in the right places could make it run the other way. At least until it seized from not having any oil pressure anyway. 🤣

A two stroke on the other hand, I'm not sure if there's anything that would stop it from running backward if you cranked it that way.

EDIT: I think you could fix the issue with the piston direction vs valve opening by re-timing the cam but then your strokes would still be in the wrong order, going intake>exhaust>power>compression, which would do all sorts of funky stuff other than actually run.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hear