Costco tire discount, meh...

JustDandee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
$30 on what would be $1200+ puchase. does not get me motivated. Looks like the bigger discount days might be gone? Last time I check Discount was right there with Costco on tire price.

image.jpg

Discount Tire is also my preferred dealer, they've been awesome. They're warranty will cover more than Costco too. Know some folks that have had poor tire warranty dealings at Costco even though they're usually really good on stuff like that. Heck, you can return dead plants! lol

Im a 20 year customer of Costco
My F150 tires I got on clearance for 50% off anywhere else

However the last tires I bought for my SUV were cheaper thru Discount Tire so I went with them

For the Tj, I shop FB marketplace for new Jeep takeoffs at firesale prices

Costcos tire mount, balance, warranty with the $110 rebates always came on top. Then add the 2% back for the year end exec member. it was a no hassle/no brainer. Not that I don't bargain hunt, wifes F150 this go around got FB brand new takes offs for all 5 (spare tire too) for $400 and then I traded the rims...that was a particularly good deal. But I am a bit of a tire snob when it comes to mine.😁

I've been a Costco customer for 14 years and never bought tires there. Been a Discount Tire customer longer and it's my 1st stop for tires.

no complaints with Discount Tire- just my #2 on BFG. Falkem Azenis they are my number 1. My only real quip is with Les Scwhab. I just cant pay those prices I have a Jeep habit to support.

I quit Costco when I left commiefornia as there wasn't one anywhere near me in Florida. Now there's one about an hour away, but not worth my while when there's a BJ's just down the street. Anyway, I bought tires at Costco a time or two - they couldn't balance tires to save their souls.

I have bought at Costco many times when there was a $100 rebate. Costco deducts that from the price immediately whereas at Discount a debit card is sent later. But dang, these days it’s only $30 off? That’s not enough to sway the decision one way or the other.

Reactions: JustDandee
I almost passed out when I was getting tires there a couple of weeks ago at Costco. I actually saw a tech using a torque wrench on my lug nuts. In addition every tire was inflated to precisely 31 psi. While that's a bit high, the torque wrench and consistent psi speak to doing the job right and attention to detail. It would have never been worth mentioning 20 years ago, but you know, it's 2023. I have never seen Discount Tire use a torque wrench and every tire is usually overinflated to some random high amount. Just another data point to consider.

I almost passed out when I was getting tires there a couple of weeks ago at Costco. I actually saw a tech using a torque wrench on my lug nuts. In addition every tire was inflated to precisely 31 psi. While that's a bit high, the torque wrench and consistent psi speak to doing the job right and attention to detail. It would have never been worth mentioning 20 years ago, but you know, it's 2023. I have never seen Discount Tire use a torque wrench and every tire is usually overinflated to some random high amount. Just another data point to consider.

My local Discount Tire always uses a torque wrench - but as we all know, that doesn't mean they all do!

Reactions: NCLife