Could this be the ugliest TJ ever?

IMG_4588.JPG

Oh my god... That's awful!
I wish they were still around here in SoCal. They at one point in time had dozens of sets of grills, hoods, and fenders for TJs and factory flare sets. They certainly aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

I wish they were still around here in SoCal. They at one point in time had dozens of sets of grills, hoods, and fenders for TJs and factory flare sets. They certainly aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

This was a place in SoCal then that—from what I gather—sold "body kits" (for lack of a better word) for TJs?

Why would anyone LOWER a jeep below stock suspension height..?
Oh well, I guess people can spend their money on whatever they want...
I would do it and the only reason I haven't is lack of time for other projects. To do it right is a bunch of work and I haven't had the time it takes to cut up the frame and relocate all the suspension points and figure out the steering. But I would certainly do it if I had the time.

I would do it and the only reason I haven't is lack of time for other projects. To do it right is a bunch of work and I haven't had the time it takes to cut up the frame and relocate all the suspension points and figure out the steering. But I would certainly do it if I had the time.

I'm going to assume you have some sort of a functional reason for wanting to lower a Jeep?

A low-rider Jeep Wrangler would be pretty cool to see...
Done correctly it would. But, it is a ton of work. In my head I see some high line front fenders so you can drop the body down around the frame, cut the trans tunnel so the drivetrain can be raised so the frame will go lower. Then you get to redo all the suspension points and figure out the steering.

I'm almost to the point where I think just cutting the frame just past the lower control arm points and lowering the center may be the best solution. Have to play with it and see.

Looks like they were trying to emulate the YJ Renegade, which has to be the ugliest factory Jeep of all time:
View attachment 13150

Since the early 2000s I've been out in Palo Alto almost once a month and, for the vast majority of the time, I stay at the Courtyard on the far south side of town on El Camino Real. In their garage has been an old YJ Renegade that hasn't moved in what I think must be 10+ years now. I'll have to snag a picture the next time I'm out there.

Those YJ Renegades were indeed hideous. The 80's was a decade we can mostly forget. Mostly horrible music (not all, but most), mostly ugly cars, ugly houses, etc.