Cracked fuel injector: Cause for concern?

Bird-Dawg

Hello all,
I was doing some recon under the hood for an upcoming AC add project and noticed my injector bodies are in various stages of cracking. There is no fuel smell at all and the engine cranks right up and runs great even after sitting in the heat after running. Is this a definite replace item or just monitor? If i do need to replace, just stick with the OEM injectors and avoid the multiports?

Thanks for the help.

1999 4.0
20190417_183744.jpg

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence on 4.0's and the factory injectors. This can cause intermittent stumbling and missing in the engine. Time to upgrade to the 4 hole injectors !

Time for new injectors for sure.

Don’t be fooled into thinking that the 4-hole injectors are an “upgrade” or will do anything for you beyond the placebo effect.

While some will grab this myth by the leash and run with it, it’s absolute hocus pocus bullshit.

The flip side to this however is that they won’t hurt your performance or anything like that. It will be just like replacing the stock ones with brand new injectors.

In any case, I suggest simply looking for whatever is cheapest and going with a reputable brand such as Bosch.

Hey guys thanks for the input, thought I'd give an update.

After reading the injector thread and Jerry's take I figured I would put this project on the back burner and not worry about it till the injectors started going. However, when I was under the hood this weekend I took another look. One of the larger cracks was filled rust, i poked at it with a dental pick and only found more rust, also at closer inspection the plastic jacket is bulged slightly. It looks like the cracks allowed water onto the injector body and begin oxide jacking the plastic casing apart. Looks like they are getting replaced. :rolleyes: