Cracked or faded door panel? Try this

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
I had the same crack about 2 to 3 inches long near the door lever. I pop riveted a mild steel patch (thin) on the back of the panel to reinforce the crack (lightly countersunk the rivet heads) then I sanded all the plastic above the seam on the panel.

I took a piece of naugahyde material the length of the panel plus several inches and folded the edge (about 1/8' fold on the work bench) using contact cement. I let it bond and dry. This folded edge I started bonding into the door panel groove that cuts thru the door lever. I started doing about an inch at a time working my way up the panel. I left the hole for the lever till last including not cementing the area around the hole. After the cement set I sliced the fabric so it could be stretched and cemented thru the opening. I also cemented and stretched the fabric over the top and to the back of the panel. You have to remove the staples for the window wipe and install the wipe over the fabric. I saved the staples and reused them.

It sounds like a lot but it went pretty easy and considering what those freaking panels cost, it was worth it.

photo.JPG

That's actually pretty awesome, looks good. I have same issue, my doors are tan, I wonder if you can get that material in different colors.

I had the same crack about 2 to 3 inches long near the door lever. I pop riveted a mild steel patch (thin) on the back of the panel to reinforce the crack (lightly countersunk the rivet heads) then I sanded all the plastic above the seam on the panel.

I took a piece of naugahyde material the length of the panel plus several inches and folded the edge (about 1/8' fold on the work bench) using contact cement. I let it bond and dry. This folded edge I started bonding into the door panel groove that cuts thru the door lever. I started doing about an inch at a time working my way up the panel. I left the hole for the lever till last including not cementing the area around the hole. After the cement set I sliced the fabric so it could be stretched and cemented thru the opening. I also cemented and stretched the fabric over the top and to the back of the panel. You have to remove the staples for the window wipe and install the wipe over the fabric. I saved the staples and reused them.

It sounds like a lot but it went pretty easy and considering what those freaking panels cost, it was worth it.

View attachment 4392

Wow thanks for the great idea. Going to try it very soon.
Thanks

Interesting, i just bought some full doors and the panels have a crack at the top... I was planning to just fill the cracks as best i could and paint the panels - this will give a nice contrast and help with wear at the top of the panel...

Reactions: justmedan63
very nice, mine are also severely cracked. I was thinking of also covering mine but I am afraid of getting wrinkles on all the curved surfaces.

very nice, mine are also severely cracked. I was thinking of also covering mine but I am afraid of getting wrinkles on all the curved surfaces.

What a great idea!

Go slow. Use a roller to flatten it. Glue only a small section at a time... Post pics when you're done!!

The upper edge along the window are the only area on mine that is really faded. Fortunately no cracks. This could be a great mod just to remedy the fading since nothing else has worked. I was going to paint the door cards.

Why do these door panels crack so often?

There has to be a reason why so many have a crack in the same place on these Jeeps.

Why do these door panels crack so often?

There has to be a reason why so many have a crack in the same place on these Jeeps.

I've heard it has something to do with the structure underneath. It has a bend or something in it that put constant pressure on the door card and eventually causes it to crack. I have a cracked drivers and good passenger. I found a good driver's side (but its a bit faded) in a wrecking yard and bought it on the spot. Been waiting to get some motivation to paint a khaki door black to match my jeep and install the new panel on the "new" door.