Creaking in the rear

MHR

my tj has started creaking in the rear and it’s driving me crazy!

I have ruled out the back door and spare. Removed the spare and drove with the back door open and same creak.

It’s not the back seat took it out and same.

I have a soft top and made sure all of the hardware is tightened.

I can stand on the back bumper and bounce up and down and no creak. If I grab the rear roll bars and pull from side to side I can get it to creak.

This is a recently finished project. The tub mounts are new so I don’t think it’s that.

Any ideas? Do shocks creak?

Link to video

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
my tj has started creaking in the rear and it’s driving me crazy!

I have ruled out the back door and spare. Removed the spare and drove with the back door open and same creak.

It’s not the back seat took it out and same.

I have a soft top and made sure all of the hardware is tightened.

I can stand on the back bumper and bounce up and down and no creak. If I grab the rear roll bars and pull from side to side I can get it to creak.

This is a recently finished project. The tub mounts are new so I don’t think it’s that.

Any ideas? Do shocks creak?

Link to video

Thanks

Mark

I had a triple clunk that I finally found was the tail pipe bracket hitting the gas tank skid plate

Front seat. Sounds like mine and other's have the same complaint. Seems to happen as you shift and your seat/body slightly shift forward then back. Is it the slide and fold style? There are bushings in the sliding mechanism that wear or and/or break. Drove me crazy until I finally figured it out.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Front seat. Sounds like mine and other's have the same complaint. Seems to happen as you shift and your seat/body slightly shift forward then back. Is it the slide and fold style? There are bushings in the sliding mechanism that wear or and/or break. Drove me crazy until I finally figured it out.

Definitely I need to change the bushings in the seat as it is loose. I have a link somewhere to a guy who is selling 3D printed bushings. Going to order some.

But the creaking really seams to be coming from the trunk.

Going to slide under and see if I can spot anything. Let you know.

Thanks
Mark

For the seat bushings, check out this post:
Seat noise
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1075363&share_tid=9145&url=https://wranglertjforum.com/index.php?threads/Seat-noise.9145/&share_type=t

For the creaking, check that your side steps aren’t rubbing against a body mount. I had that problem with the passenger side. I just used some washers to get some space between the two.

Thanks for the link

No side steps on the jeep at the moment. Have some sliders to install once I get around to it.

Got under it re torqued the tub mounts some of them were not tight enough but still creaking. Too bad I thought I had it:(

Inspected everything and noticed one of my rear shocks are leaking. So I’m going to order some rear shocks and install them. At that time I’ll look over the rest of the rear end again as best I can.

@MHR - When you say the creaking seems to be coming from the trunk, do you mean the tail gate, or possibly tail gate hinges perhaps?
And is it a high pitched creaking?

I’ve think I have eliminated the tailgate as the problem since I have removed the tire and driven with it open and I got the same noise.

It's not a squeaking like a tailgate or hinges more like a creaking almost like an old staircase or something.

thanks

Mark

Try lubing the rear sway bar bushings. It sounds like a rubber thing causing it.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Definitely going to try that when I change my rear shocks this weekend.

Regards
Mark
How did the rear shock change go ? I'm going to do mine soon and I guess that sometimes the top rear shock mount pins can be real buggers to get out ...

How did the rear shock change go ? I'm going to do mine soon and I guess that sometimes the top rear shock mount pins can be real buggers to get out ...
More often than not the bolts snap. Plan to replace the nuts and bolts.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: derekmac

I actually just did them last night. I had no problem but I did a full frame swap in the last year so the bolts hadn’t been in there very long.

Definitely a danger of snapping those bolts as they are just M8. Also the nut that is welded on the other side will sometimes break free and spin. Lots of pb blaster for a day or 2 before you do the job and then go slow and hope for the best. It’s not really easy to get heat in there especially since the gas tank is there as well so that is the last resort.

Good luck.

Mark

To update the issue of the creak I only changed the shocks last night and I haven’t finished a couple of other things I am doing so I don’t know if the shocks or greasing the sway bar will solve the issue. I can say that one of my old shocks was completely empty and useless so I wouldn’t be surprised if that at least is part of the issue.

Will update next week when I’m able to drive it.

Mark