Creaking Steering Column

BAPilot2

1997 Wrangler TJ.

The steering column makes a lot of squeaking and creaking, inside the vehicle (probably outside too), when turning the steering wheel. What parts should I replace? Or can the column assembly be greased/lubed in order to stop the noise?

This is my nephews Jeep, which he bought brand new in June 1996, and I’m helping him to get it up and running again. He left it sitting dormant for about 2 1/2 years in his driveway. It’s got something like 275,000 miles on it. We’ve already replaced the old sagging suspension with factory OEM springs, shocks, lower control arms, and sway bar links, that came off a 2005 Rubicon. The parts were brand spankin’ new! (They still had all the factory tags on them). The guy took them off the Rubicon the day he bought it, in order to have a lift installed, and kept the parts for 14+ years. I bought them all for $50.

Anyway... what are y’all’s thoughts about the steering?

Thanks,
Andrew

Does it sound like a duck? I have a 98 TJ that when I turn the wheel, sounds duck-ish. I have not been in it for a couple days, but I'm pretty sure it happens both left and right, and I also think it's the initial part of the turning, not so much if you keep turning, but I might not be remembering correctly.

Is that the same kind of sound you are having?

Buy an aerosol can of white lithium grease and spray the inside/outside of the rubber boot on the firewall where the steering shaft passes through. The squeaking/groaning will go away. Don't waste your time spraying WD40 which soon evaporates at which time the squeaking and groaning will return.

Buy an aerosol can of white lithium grease and spray the inside/outside of the rubber boot on the firewall where the steering shaft passes through. The squeaking/groaning will go away. Don't waste your time spraying WD40 which soon evaporates at which time the squeaking and groaning will return.
Thanks Jerry. We will give that a try this weekend.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
As Jerry said, spray some lithium grease on the firewall boot. I also was chasing steering wheel creaking, on a high mileage TJ, and discovered something I hadn't seen before. There's a boot under the hood, on the steering shaft, that has a bearing in it. I took it apart and found mine completely dry. I cleaned it, greased it and reassembled it. Creaking was gone!

LNsuHuA.jpg

jLZZ4Gz.jpg