Cross nuts vs rivnut

Stinkbug

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Just a rambling thought about fasteners…

I ran across a guy using these cross nuts when installing shelving and such in his van. On the surface, it seems that they might provide better resistance to spinning and pulling out than rivnuts. The obvious downsides are the depth and maybe width required to install them.

Our modified Jeeps are full of rivnuts is there a reason that manufacturers of accessories that require rivnuts have not adopted these things?

IMG_0785.jpeg

Just a rambling thought about fasteners…

I ran across a guy using these cross nuts when installing shelving and such in his van. On the surface, it seems that they might provide better resistance to spinning and pulling out than rivnuts. The obvious downsides are the depth and maybe width required to install them.

Our modified Jeeps are full of rivnuts is there a reason that manufacturers of accessories that require rivnuts have not adopted these things?

View attachment 457623

You could always purchase the appropriate versions of each in 5/16-18 and do some real world testing?? Then we would all know the answer.

However, in most instances other than the frame where rust is involved and referencing your "modified" requirement, I never have any issues with pull-out or spinning when the nutsert is correctly installed and used.

The first test I would do with those is set one or several, thread in a fine thread 5/16 or 8mm bolt and see how much torque it actually takes to turn them in the hole. I'll bet it is far lower than you think it will be.

You could always purchase the appropriate versions of each in 5/16-18 and do some real world testing?? Then we would all know the answer.

However, in most instances other than the frame where rust is involved and referencing your "modified" requirement, I never have any issues with pull-out or spinning when the nutsert is correctly installed and used.

The first test I would do with those is set one or several, thread in a fine thread 5/16 or 8mm bolt and see how much torque it actually takes to turn them in the hole. I'll bet it is far lower than you think it will be.

With my limited knowledge of fasteners, I thought they have a larger surface area that would result in more clamping force to hold them better than rivnuts. Maybe they don’t spread as wide as I think and the above is not true.

However, since you have likely installed more rivnuts than me and any random 49 other Jeep owners on this forum combined, I will just take your word for it and assume they are not used more often because they are either unnecessary or inferior and save myself the cost of the experiment.

Last edited:
With my limited knowledge of fasteners, I thought they have a larger surface area that would result in more clamping force to hold them better than rivnuts. Maybe they don’t spread as wide as I think and the above is not true.
Where is the increase in surface area coming from?
However, since you have likely installed more rivnuts than me and any random 49 other Jeep owners on this forum combined, I will just take your word for it and assume they are not used more often because they are either unnecessary or inferior and save myself the cost of the experiment.
I'm always willing to learn something new. If they are a heavier duty version of a jack nut used to hold the West Coast mirrors onto pick up doors, they may be a good thing.