Crush sleeve pinion

Sandcrab

Supporting Member
I posted here about this a few weeks ago about up and down slack in my yoke on third member. I didn't tow it on my trip because of that. Well I'm back R V made it fine. Question is if the crush sleeve is worn enough can that let it have play up and down. I think that would let the bearing move in or out a little. I'm just wondering if just a crush sleeve would fix the problem. Have not looked at gears yet. Was some metal in fluid I drained out.

That is what I was thinking. I'm sure they are original gear set.im thinking I should just drop housing and replace ring and pinion and crush sleeve. New pinion bearing

Well I guess I can look at thar when I remove cover off back of third member. I just know it was real low on gear oil when I checked it and it had real fine metal in oil . So you think if gears look good just run them.

If you ran it low on oil and it now has slop in the pinion you are going to need a new ring and pinion and bearings.

Well I guess I can look at thar when I remove cover off back of third member. I just know it was real low on gear oil when I checked it and it had real fine metal in oil . So you think if gears look good just run them.
That additional information changes things, I'd be doing new gears too.

Well I just recently purchased this jeep. I didn't know the gear oil was that low. Been doing other work to it and just got around to that. I will probably just drop housing and do R&P and bearing and sleeve. Thanks for the advise from all.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford