Curious question about TJ roll cage

Dryfly

So... like many, I like the slanted style roll cages from the CJ's and YJ's. I am curious... could an LJ roll cage be "cut down" or "shortened" so to speak to fit a TJ, thus giving it more of that "fastback" look? Would the rear seatbelt attachments still work, as well as soft top attachment points?

I came across someone local selling an LJ roll cage, and while I don't have any real intentions of doing this... it has caused to wonder if anyone has done this, and if it even looks / functions well? So as the title states... it's more or less just a question of curiosity.

So... like many, I like the slanted style roll cages from the CJ's and YJ's. I am curious... could an LJ roll cage be "cut down" or "shortened" so to speak to fit a TJ, thus giving it more of that "fastback" look? Would the rear seatbelt attachments still work, as well as soft top attachment points?

I came across someone local selling an LJ roll cage, and while I don't have any real intentions of doing this... it has caused to wonder if anyone has done this, and if it even looks / functions well? So as the title states... it's more or less just a question of curiosity.

This is the stock LJ cage. Is this what you are thinking? It does not resemble the CJ or YJ fastback cage. I think it is similar to the TJ rear bar, just stretched a bit.

70EC9312-C9C6-40FC-BB68-531E1D63D212.jpeg

Reactions: BlueC
Isn’t the angle of the rear bar more slanted than the regular TJ?

It would be a waste of time and money trying to graft two factory bars/cages together. A much better solution would be finding a local race fab shop and having them modify the existing factory cage or building custom. There's also the option of finding a pre-built/bent cage.

Thanks for the replies. Again, I saw a LJ cage for sale locally this week and it caused me to start pondering the idea. The angle on the LJ cages looks more slanted than the TJ imo, and that is why I started thinking about it. All in all, if it's ever something I decide to do, I believe I would just go custom.

Thanks for the replies. Again, I saw a LJ cage for sale locally this week and it caused me to start pondering the idea. The angle on the LJ cages looks more slanted than the TJ imo, and that is why I started thinking about it. All in all, if it's ever something I decide to do, I believe I would just go custom.

It's more slanted but not as much as a CJ and not slanted enough to make a significant difference, and would probably not put the rear seat belts in a place where they'd be useful.

I get it.
I actually decided on an LJ just because of the more 'slanted' cage look.

Lap belts were good enough for me. ;)

Yea, but probably not smokey. GA probably isn't that strict, and the OP might could get away with it, but some state I'm sure that would be a legal no-no.