Currie Antirock vs JKS disconnects: opinions and who has run both

[QUOTE="Drizit, Personal I run the ORO swayloc dual rate with the air powered disconnect. I love it, I get stiffer than stock stability on the road and antirock preformance off road. I can even switch modes for fast fire roads between trails

I also run the ORO air-operated dual rate. Like many things I don’t think you can fully appreciate how good it is until you’ve driven a Jeep with it.

[QUOTE="Chris, That ORO swayloc setup looks awesome. I didn't know about that until now, but clearly I need to stay away from you guys, because all you do is make me want to spend more money on my Jeep![/QUOTE]

Try to find someone who has an ORO that will allow you to drive it. I’m certain you’d be impressed with it’s on and off road handling.[/QUOTE]I know the original designer of ORO's dual-rate antiswaybar and he won't even run it after its design was cheapened, he runs an Antirock.

Reactions: B252 and Chris
[QUOTE="Jerry Bransford, I know the original designer of ORO's dual-rate antiswaybar and he won't even run it after its design was cheapened, he runs an Antirock.[/QUOTE]

Interesting comment Jerry. When was the design “cheapened” and in what aspect?

Yep, it's that circuit board. You'd think that someone would have figured out a way to repair the circuit board by now, have they not?

That ORO swayloc setup looks awesome. I didn't know about that until now, but clearly I need to stay away from you guys, because all you do is make me want to spend more money on my Jeep!
We aim to please :D

The big problem is, like so many other electronic things, chrysler didn't feel the need to waterproof them.

I'm not sure what exactly burns out on the board, if it's a proprietary chip then getting replacements may be the issue.

Incidentally, if as Jerry said the swayloc has gone down hill recently, there are other options for dual rate bars. Teraflex now makes one (I used their ends to replace my heim joints as I the ORO ones were prohibitively expensive and theirs are greasable, and cost about $10 to rebuild.) I believe JKS at least used to make one, althoug with a couple of others. They are all a manual disconnect but it's not that big a deal.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Chris
It wasn't recently. In fact it was some time ago. The problem was an increased breakage rate.
Ahh I knew they had a problem with ripping splines off the tortion bar and switched to a d shape to fix it. After I bought mine in 2013 though i stopped paying attention.

Reactions: Daryl
I appreciate all the advice. I ended up going with the JKS quicker disconnect. Also needed a track bar and have the Teraflex adjustable on the way. My decisions are based on the future need for a full set of control arms. As much as I would like to spend on the Anti Rock and high end track bar, I would rather buy in a couple of months a set of Currie control arms which are from what I see top rated. Thanks all for the advice and this forum is a big help.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
I appreciate all the advice. I ended up going with the JKS quicker disconnect. Also needed a track bar and have the Teraflex adjustable on the way. My decisions are based on the future need for a full set of control arms. As much as I would like to spend on the Anti Rock and high end track bar, I would rather buy in a couple of months a set of Currie control arms which are from what I see top rated. Thanks all for the advice and this forum is a big help.

Glad to heard you took a good decision.

Happy Trails Amigo!

Reactions: 04LJ
Sounds like a good plan. Disconnects will get you through years and years of wheeling. Most people never upgrade past that level.

For install I found these tools indespensible:
the ball joint separater was a must, and, be careful, the old ones fly off with a lot of force when removing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YVWHOE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
this bit/die will cut the hole and thread for the stow away mount:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JY7138/?tag=wranglerorg-20
And if you don’t have a grease gun it is also necessary:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G08K9I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: 04LJ
With the conversation about the Currie Antirock talking about its on-road manners (some saying it's great, others saying the opposite), I found this product description from an Amazon seller interesting. I wonder if it's their own perception of it's characteristics, or if Currie states it somewhere?

Product description

"For 1997-2006 Jeep TJ's and unlimited. The Currie Antirock sway bar kit provides balanced performance of front and rear suspension for rugged off-road conditions. It gives the driver increased traction by balancing and distributing the weight and traction over all four tires. The Antirock off-road sway bar is designed to directly replace the stock Jeep sway bar. This bar is made of SAE 4130 heat treated steel for ultimate strength, which is the same quality used in professional off-road competition sway bars. This kit includes all components for installation including, bushings, hardware, and step-by-step instructions. It is positioned through the front cross member and attaches to the stock mounts on the axle housing on Jeep TJ's and LJ's. The Currie Antirock sway bar does not need to be disconnected for off-road use. Caution: Jeeps will have more body roll than stock. This sway bar may be used on the street however, it will not provide the same performance as the stock setup."

That is also on Curries website

Yep. I just recently ordered the AR, regardless. After following all the comments regarding that issue, I came to the conclusion that I didn't think it was much of an issue, after all. So I now have a brand new set of JKS discos I'll be selling... :rolleyes:

How much you looking to get for the discos?

Asking for a friend! LOL

Yep. I just recently ordered the AR, regardless. After following all the comments regarding that issue, I came to the conclusion that I didn't think it was much of an issue, after all. So I now have a brand new set of JKS discos I'll be selling... :rolleyes:

Love the beard BTW!

That is also on Curries website
Yep. I just recently ordered the AR, regardless. After following all the comments regarding that issue, I came to the conclusion that I didn't think it was much of an issue, after all. So I now have a brand new set of JKS discos I'll be selling...
How much you looking to get for the discos?

Asking for a friend! LOL
LOL Well, these were purchased for a 2" lift, so I'll get that out there first. Don't recall the part number. Brand new, never opened...$140, and they ship on your dime. You can PM me, if interested. Don't wanna hijack the thread! ;)

You fooled me this time...I figured you for a minimalist type that would prefer the simplicity of quick disconnects. Go figure. You're a complicated dude. :D

Reactions: Squatch