Currie Rock Sliders - Information Request

HaydukeLives!

Supporting Member
Howdy Folks,

Does anyone know anything about these Currie rock sliders? I read one installation thread but can't find much else about them on the webs.

These are old but are they still a good design worth installing? (I hesitate to ask for opinions, but....I guess I am.)

They're brand new with hardware and instructions.

I've never dealt with sliders...or any protection for that matter....but beginning to build the 1999 Sport into a cheap trail rig.

Thanks for any information.

IMG_20240328_105215670.jpg

IMG_20240328_105235978.jpg

IMG_20240328_105229615 (1).jpg

IMG_20240328_105305182.jpg

IMG_20240328_115540118.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
They mount to the tub and torque box properly which is important. I don't know what gauge they are nor do I know how they'll hold up, but Currie (now Rock Jock) does make great products. Maybe someone that has them installed or installed previously will chime in with their opinion about them.
They aren't as robust as the Savvy two piece Rocker Sliders (aluminum rocker & steel slider) that mrblaine designed, but those are unobtanium at this point in time.

Reactions: HaydukeLives!
Those are great and used to be the best design for big rocks. I think we all ran them in JV years ago. Mine had the tube welded on which IMO is a critical addition. Reinforce the part that mounts to the side of tub under the door with a long piece of aluminum.

Nice set, does Currie even make them anymore?

I assume they are no longer made but I don't know sh*t. Thankfully it sounds like they'll probably do fine for what I need, i.e., jacking around on the trails and occasional sketch moves.

All instructions are on the front and back of a 8x11 sheet, so I'll get my REC SPECS out for the install.

Thanks to you folks for the feedback so far. I basically have these and if there are no major reasons against installing and running them, I'm going for it I suppose.

Daaaayum! That's some proper test specimens. Makes me want to pay more attention to the groups and clubs.

I haven't been around long enough to guess very intelligently, and the chrome grill on the green one is throwing me off. But if "wizard" is the clue, then....Mr. Blaine Johnson? Or is the green one yours, Paradiddle?

Also 2007? Same day? Same run? Do these gatherings still happen?

Daaaayum! That's some proper test specimens. Makes me want to pay more attention to the groups and clubs.

I haven't been around long enough to guess very intelligently, and the chrome grill on the green one is throwing me off. But if "wizard" is the clue, then....Mr. Blaine Johnson? Or is the green one yours, Paradiddle?

Also 2007? Same day? Same run? Do these gatherings still happen?

My Jeep is in there somewhere, but the green one is Blaine's. I think Blaine still gets out there every once in a while, but I have retired from the hard stuff.

That was one of the Rookie Runs we used to do from Jeepbbs. Always a great time to take folks over a couple Hammers trails for the first time. Jerry Bransford was there that weekend. It's interesting to see the affect Blaine had on our rigs, and continues to. His ideas and stuff worked then, and works now. We almost all ran the same suspensions, tires, etc. Because it WORKED on the big rocks.

jerry b JV.jpg

It was a TON of fun. Great folks, like minded with great trail etiquette, and super hard and fun trails. I do miss it.

Jeff

Nice set, does Currie even make them anymore?
No, they do not, neither Currie or Rockjock make armor etc. When John was running Currie, he worked with Arlington Sheet Metal here in SoCal to develop a pretty nice line of bumpers, rock rails and various armor bits. They had a pretty spiffy rear tire carrier on a bumper. They actually took an award with it at SEMA. Shortly after that, Transamerica, under one of their little umbrella companies, either Smitty or 4WP, sent one over to China and had it copied to sell under the Smitty brand. They built it to a price point, so many important aspects of it were compromised to do that. But, it sold like crazy because why not? The average penny pinching Jeeper could buy the copy for a little over a third of what Currie got for theirs. 239 versus 600+. From 10 feet away, it looked the same and that is all folks cared about.

It didn't matter that the very cool hinge they developed that went through the top and bottom of the bumper only now was stuck on top, or it didn't swing straight, or latch very tight, or the powder coat sucked, or the hardware sucked, all that mattered was it was cheaper than the Currie.

It didn't take long before John just quit. No way to compete against that crap and they didn't. Just turned it off never to do it again and we suffered for it then and still to this day the price point copies mess up quality stuff.

Last edited:
@mrblaine Do you know how to tell the difference between the Currie tire carrier and the Smittybilt knockoff? I have had one I bought used about 12 years I was told was a Currie. But i've alway been suspicious it may be the knockoff.

No, they do not, neither Currie or Rockjock make armor etc. When John was running Currie, he worked with Arlington Sheet Metal here in SoCal to develop a pretty nice line of bumpers, rock rails and various armor bits. They had a pretty spiffy rear tire carrier on a bumper. They actually took an award with it at SEMA. Shortly after that, Transamerica, under one of their little umbrella companies, either Smitty or 4WP, sent one over to China and had it copied to sell under the Smitty brand. They built it to a price point, so many important aspects of it were compromised to do that. But, it sold like crazy because why not? The average penny pinching Jeeper could buy the copy for a little over a third of what Currie got for theirs. 239 versus 600+. From 10 feet away, it looked the same and that is all folks cared about.

It didn't matter that the very cool hinge they developed that went through the top and bottom of the bumper only now was stuck on top, or it didn't swing straight, or latch very tight, or the powder coat sucked, or the hardware sucked, all that mattered was it was cheaper than the Currie.

It didn't take long before John just quit. No way to compete against that crap and they didn't. Just turned it off never to do it again and we suffered for it then and still to this day the price point copies mess up quality stuff.

Damn. It's not happy history but it is interesting and appreciated. Thanks Blaine. I wish we could learn from it but I'm not optimistic where I usually am.

Most people are only interested in “good enough” without any benchmark for measuring what “good enough” is. People tend to overlook details unless that are actually interested in the differences and why they make a difference. Purchase validation is more important to most people. It all drives crappy products. I struggle to find good products in other areas because the market is flooded with crap and the amount of time it takes to sort through all of it and understand the details is enormous.

@mrblaine Do you know how to tell the difference between the Currie tire carrier and the Smittybilt knockoff? I have had one I bought used about 12 years I was told was a Currie. But i've alway been suspicious it may be the knockoff.

Sounds like you could look at the pivot point...If it goes through the top and bottom it would be a Currie. It is just attached to the top, knockoff

As stated, look at the hinge pivot. Currie went all the way through, the knock off was just sitting on top. The Currie latch also worked perfectly. The knock off was a piece of shit.

Looking at the pictures they appear to be very close to the GenRight Mini-Boatsides sans the tube steps. May I assume that is due to your involvement? Seems like with access to the CAD drawing and todays manufacturing it would be pretty simple to reproduce the original Currie sliders for a competitive price and folks could bolt / weld on whatever sacrificial rub rail they wanted. I also get that I am an uneducated hobby person commenting on a manufacturing process and am probably missing obvious complexities. Then tie in demand for the product on a Jeep no longer made. I am right back to just spending the cash on a set of GenRights.