Custom cargo basket storage

jgaz

TJ Enthusiast
This picture shows the first version of a cargo basket I made for my LJ. The basket is a Harbor Freight trailer hitch cargo carrier with the center section removed.
E10B2610-8115-41D0-AAA6-4051EB92ED76.jpeg

Version one worked great until I scored a “new to me” fridge. Then I needed to redo the brackets that mounted the basket to the tub in order to move the basket forward so that the fridge lid could be opened. You can see the two angle iron brackets that I used. Effective, but heavy.
67B58357-AFFE-4345-85B6-34E8D44EFF22.jpeg

This is the basket in its new, forward position. It allowed the fridge to open, but limited the ability to recline the front seats. I didn’t like that at all! I’ve been known to sleep in a rest area from time to time.
C76CC77C-8D7C-439A-9461-EFA7F4CD2653.jpeg

Here is version three that I put together this weekend. This version is mounted much higher which is fine but also is moved completely to the rear which makes loading and unloading much more convenient.
7E042D79-0E05-43C7-B45A-1A7EA7E3F9A2.jpeg

8760F87F-4D4B-4DC6-90AC-D41F16980441.jpeg

These next three pics show the new side support bar mounted between the sport bars and also the clamps I used to secure the support bar to the tubes. The clamping method is different front and rear because I wanted the side bar to be parallel with the window. The brackets on the sport bars are reshaped chain link fence brackets. If you see hose clamps below the fence brackets they are only there to locate the brackets while building this. This made it so I only had to measure one time.
8FEFA518-342F-4639-A560-0DD383D0FB50.jpeg

4C04C688-A366-4C23-99AF-9399DC11310C.jpeg

3625FB39-4A12-4AC3-9E9A-22882C922B94.jpeg

Please note: I saw this basic idea several years ago on a thread on another site. The post I borrowed this idea from was lost when my old desktop died so I can’t give credit to the original poster. Also, the bolts on the sport bar clamps need to be trimmed and have a cap installed over the end for safety. I also need to reinstall the padding at the front and resecure the black cover.

In case anyone is interested, I used 1/4” structural pop rivets to mount the angle brackets to the side support bars. I’m not set up to weld aluminum at home. This was taken during construction
0B31745E-A5E1-43B1-8451-C65F52AB8C75.jpeg

I might add that this version will also work well with the used fridge slide I just obtained. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Nice work! I love custom jobs like this.
They sell a rack special for this area but it costs way more than these hitch baskets that you've modified.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Nice work! I love custom jobs like this.
They sell a rack special for this area but it costs way more than these hitch baskets that you've modified.

You are right about that! My basket was a garage sale purchase with a tweaked Center section that Iinserted into a vehicle hitch. I needed to remove that part anyway in order for the basket to fit in my LJ.

The aluminum wasn’t expensive and I work cheap!

Nice bracketry! The wheels are turning...thanks for the link.
@StG58. If you go this route, I forgot to add that I pressed a piece of Maple about 2 inches into the ends of the square tube. That way the thru bolts didn’t crush the walls of the tubes as I tightened the fasteners.

This is a really nice design. Who knew those rear carriers were the perfect width for the interior back of the Jeep. I like the first design in a TJ as opposed to an LJ. As you can probably lean in and get good access. While leaving the back area to be stacked with other equipment. Would an entire carrier (not missing the middle section) fit in a TJ? That might be a very effective use of space.

This is a really nice design. Who knew those rear carriers were the perfect width for the interior back of the Jeep. I like the first design in a TJ as opposed to an LJ. As you can probably lean in and get good access. While leaving the back area to be stacked with other equipment. Would an entire carrier (not missing the middle section) fit in a TJ? That might be a very effective use of space.

My rack as installed is 51 5/8” overall at its widest point. I have 2 5/8” clearance on one side and 2 3/4” on the other. This rack is installed in an 06 LJ with a factory hardtop.

My garage sale Harbor Freight rack had a damaged center section when I bought it so I never even thought about using it full width. I believe it would have fit, but the extra clearance to the window glass is nice for hooking up the cargo tie downs and also for maneuvering the basket into place on its brackets.

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
This picture shows the first version of a cargo basket I made for my LJ. The basket is a Harbor Freight trailer hitch cargo carrier with the center section removed.
View attachment 29751

Version one worked great until I scored a “new to me” fridge. Then I needed to redo the brackets that mounted the basket to the tub in order to move the basket forward so that the fridge lid could be opened. You can see the two angle iron brackets that I used. Effective, but heavy.
View attachment 29749

This is the basket in its new, forward position. It allowed the fridge to open, but limited the ability to recline the front seats. I didn’t like that at all! I’ve been known to sleep in a rest area from time to time.
View attachment 29750

Here is version three that I put together this weekend. This version is mounted much higher which is fine but also is moved completely to the rear which makes loading and unloading much more convenient.
View attachment 29758

View attachment 29757

These next three pics show the new side support bar mounted between the sport bars and also the clamps I used to secure the support bar to the tubes. The clamping method is different front and rear because I wanted the side bar to be parallel with the window. The brackets on the sport bars are reshaped chain link fence brackets. If you see hose clamps below the fence brackets they are only there to locate the brackets while building this. This made it so I only had to measure one time.
View attachment 29756

View attachment 29755

View attachment 29754
Please note: I saw this basic idea several years ago on a thread on another site. The post I borrowed this idea from was lost when my old desktop died so I can’t give credit to the original poster. Also, the bolts on the sport bar clamps need to be trimmed and have a cap installed over the end for safety. I also need to reinstall the padding at the front and resecure the black cover.

In case anyone is interested, I used 1/4” structural pop rivets to mount the angle brackets to the side support bars. I’m not set up to weld aluminum at home. This was taken during construction
View attachment 29761

I might add that this version will also work well with the used fridge slide I just obtained. Stay tuned.

Very nice work with different variations and + and -