Custom Dash

wade Quilter

Hey all, my Jeep was recently broken into and the center dash panel was ripped to pieces in order to pull the stereo out. I've thought about different ways to get a stereo put back in, including the Tuffy security console. But now my thoughts are to have a custom dash put in. Something made of steel, and possibly similar to what you might see in a YJ. Has anybody had this done to their TJ, or seen where to get something?

I have the Tuffy security console and love it.
I have the old factory cassette (unhooked) in the dash. That *might deter* potential thieves who do a quick look in.

Although I'm currently looking at installing my CB radio in the dash and finding a "fake 1.5din" cover of some sort to hide that CB radio. It's not worth much money, but I'm afraid it might catch the interest of thieves here anyway.

I have the Tuffy security console and love it.
I have the old factory cassette (unhooked) in the dash.

Exactly what I did in a previous '97 that got the nicer stereo stolen. No one is interested in the factory radio/cassette/cd player. I also installed the Tuffy security console for the real sound unit, and also was happy with that.

Sorry to hear... wouldn't a removable faceplate deter theft of a stereo? ...or is that me being naïve again?

You would think that a removable faceplate would deter theft. But I'm not so sure anymore. I am going to purchase the full security stereo center console for my Jeep. Does anybody know what needs to be done in order to re-route the stereo wiring down into that console?

You would think that a removable faceplate would deter theft. But I'm not so sure anymore. I am going to purchase the full security stereo center console for my Jeep. Does anybody know what needs to be done in order to re-route the stereo wiring down into that console?

It doesn't really.

What stereo center console are you referring to?

It is a security console that goes between the two front seats, made by Tuffy. The one I'm referring to has a front compartment for the stereo. This way you can relocate the stereo from the center dash to the console and have it locked down. Here's the image link.

Hmmm, link doesn't work.

However, what you're describing would be as easy as extending the wires on the factory stereo harness so that you could route it down through the dash and into the center console area.

You just have to be good at splicing wires.

I have a similar console in my CJ and all I did was cut apart the existing wiring harness and spliced in wires long enough to make it out from under the dash to the center console and put a split-loom sleeve over it.

I've had a removable face plate radio in my TJ. The issue I ran into was in about a year the front plate was losing contact and the unit would not always work. The stereo company said this was not their problem. So I threw it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris