Custom fabric doors?

dylansalrin

Orthopedic Circulator
Supporting Member
Looking to get fabric doors. I like how light they are and the overall look but they are only made by bestop and only in black or tan. I have a grey soft top and wondering what my options are. are there embroidery shops that would be able to redo the entire upper and lowers with a new color? seems like a lot of work. I wonder if bestop will make them with grey fabric I can send them? Are there other companies out there that sell soft uppers and soft lowers?

Thanks

Looking to get fabric doors. I like how light they are and the overall look but they are only made by bestop and only in black or tan. I have a grey soft top and wondering what my options are. are there embroidery shops that would be able to redo the entire upper and lowers with a new color? seems like a lot of work. I wonder if bestop will make them with grey fabric I can send them? Are there other companies out there that sell soft uppers and soft lowers?

Thanks

Have you tried just emailing Bestop and asking? The worst they can say is, "no."

If they do say no, next step IMO would be a fabric shop or an actual automotive upholstery shop.

Reactions: dylansalrin
You might get lucky with a set of Bestop YJ doors. I have a set of gray YJ doors. The good news is that TJ & YJ handles/latches are interchangeable and you can buy new ones from Bestop. The bad news is that YJ uppers do not fit TJ's. My plan (no rush) is to strip the YJ soft uppers, cut, reshape and weld the metal frame to fit my TJ and then recover them with a set of black replacement Bestop covers.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Last edited:
I would bet a place that makes tarps/boatcovers etc could make something. They would also have high quality canvas/sailcloth in about any color to use as well. Price however I could see being pretty high.

I would bet a place that makes tarps/boatcovers etc could make something. They would also have high quality canvas/sailcloth in about any color to use as well. Price however I could see being pretty high.
Years ago I had this done to a set of side curtains on my 1959 MGA. Quite a different design but in a way similar to TJ soft uppers and you're right ... it wasn't cheap.

X2

Especially if you bring them your existing soft doors so that they can use the frames. If you did that, almost any place like this (including auto upholstery shops) would do it for you, no doubt. It would be relatively easy for them too.

It is going to be a custom thing though, for sure.

Paint them with a vinyl/upholstery paint. SEM and other such companies make rattle bombs that could work if you can find a grey that matches your top.

Coming from the boaters world, anything is possible if you find a creative guy. I've had custom biminis & enclosures made on wake boats a few times. Makes sketches, print pics off the net, provide the frames, etc. And approach them in the winter when they have the time. Prices will be a lot more reasonable.

Reactions: PCO6

Thanks
I'd call these folks and have a chat. They appear to be a bit more custom oriented than most.
https://www.gahh.com/convertible-tops/jeep-tops/jeep-1997-2006-wrangler-tj-upper-door-skins

Reactions: PCO6
You might get lucky with a set of Bestop YJ doors. I have a set of gray YJ doors. The good news is that TJ & YJ handles/latches are interchangeable and you can buy new ones from Bestop. The bad news is that YJ uppers do not fit TJ's. My plan (no rush) is to strip the YJ soft uppers, cut, reshape and weld the metal frame to fit my TJ and then recover them with a set of black replacement Bestop covers.

View attachment 20785

View attachment 20786
Further to my post above (#3) I picked up a set of TJ soft uppers in black (which is what I want - black uppers over gray lowers). Rather than cut up the original gray uppers and destroy them for use on a YJ I realized that it would be fairly easy to remove the TJ vertical posts and reweld them or fabricate new ones to line up with my YJ soft lowers.

That may or may not help the OP or others but point is that with a bit of massaging YJ & TJ (+CJ?) half doors are fairly interchangeable.

If anyone is interested, here's a thread on how to adapt YJ hard half door lowers for use on a TJ.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-yj-half-doors-on-a-tj.3030/