D-Ring receiver hitch safe?

Not the best practice. Are you doing a lot of off-roading or just thinking as a need for if you have to pull a buddy out of the ditch?

That will work for most recoveries. I like this setup better though... and it only requires one hole be drilled since one of the two required holes is already present in the frame. The two washers & nuts are fished up inside the frame from the bottom through a pre-existing opening in the frame. Do NOT through-drill and bolt through both sides of the frame which will start slowly collapsing the frame inward between the bolts. Use Grade 8 hardware like is shown in the pic.

Tow Hook.jpg

Thank you, fellas.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting 30 bucks on something that's not functional.

Not the best practice. Are you doing a lot of off-roading....

I get the chance to hit a trail about 4 times a year. Haven't been stuck....yet. I'd use this form of anchor if I needed to be pulled out of a situation or possibly tug someone.

I like Jerry's recommendation as well. So I'll add a hook at the rear too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will work for most recoveries. I like this setup better though... and it only requires one hole be drilled since one of the two required holes is already present in the frame. The two washers & nuts are fished up inside the frame from the bottom through a pre-existing opening in the frame. Do NOT through-drill and bolt through both sides of the frame which will start slowly collapsing the frame inward between the bolts. Use Grade 8 hardware like is shown in the pic.

View attachment 17851
Jerry, do you still have that tow hook in addition to your Dirtworx rear bumper? I took that off as it mounted in the same place as the frame to bumper tie-in brackets...

Thank you, fellas.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting 30 bucks on something that's not functional.

I get the chance to hit a trail about 4 times a year. Haven't been stuck....yet. I'd use this form of anchor if I needed to be pulled out of a situation or possibly tug someone.

I like Jerry's recommendation as well. So I'll add a hook at the rear too.

Doing the set up that Jerry shows would be a perfect way to go. That way you always have the connection point and don't happen to have taken the d-ring hitch off two days before you needed and left it at home.

Jerry, do you still have that tow hook in addition to your Dirtworx rear bumper? I took that off as it mounted in the same place as the frame to bumper tie-in brackets...
No, I use the shackle mount on my Dirtworx bumper which has a frame tie-in bracket.

Hi fam,

I dont have any hooks or connecting points on the rear of my TJ. That stated, I do have a class 3 hitch. Can I simply purchase one of these (link below) and be good to go?

Thank you all in advance.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_711X_PG.htm

To be fair this will work, its just very limited in recovery situations. Jerry's recommendation of the tow hook on the frame is fantastic if you are running the stock bumper or a bumper w/o a recovery point. I have personally used this on several different trucks/jeeps/SUV's as people get stuck and never seem to have a proper recovery point, but they all have trailer hitches. The issue is that the bumper you are currently using is not tied in with the frame and thats why the recovery hook on the frame would be a better suited option for you IMO.

(This is all assuming you have the stock TJ Bumper and the rear receiver that just bolts to the bumper without any significant reinforcement or tie in)

Reactions: John Keasling
I failed to mention, my hitch is a Curt class 3 hitch that bolts to the frame. Which is why I considered the hitch for a recovery point. Its obviously dead center as well. I should have noted that in my original post. Its only through some searching around today that I noticed some hitches mount to the rear bumper or rear crossmembers. That would def be no good in a real pulling situation.

Reactions: JP98
You can use the hitch as a recover point.
I just run the strap in the empty hitch and use the hitch pin. Probably not the BEST practice, but it's dead center, attached to the frame, and hasn't given me any problems yet.