Daily Driver Replacement - Opinions wanted

mde8965

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am thinking out loud here, so apologize in advance for the ramble...

So here is the situation. In addition to my TJ, I currently own a 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack (sublime). It only has 6,700 miles as it is a toy. Still have a bank loan on this vehicle, but is only a year from being paid off. My current daily driver is a 2016 BMW X3 that I leased. That lease is coming to an end in early January 2019.

I am trying to decide what to replace the BMW with. And at the same time am toying with the idea of selling the Dodge to either provide a good portion of equity toward the next daily driver purchase, or to put in savings and stop paying insurance on a vehicle that is what amounts to a garage queen...

The next daily driver has to be an SUV/Crossover. I have 2 large dogs that ride with me occasionally and the family (3 of us). I find SUV's to be most useful for those trips to home depot, best buy and all of that. And they still ride ok. in 2017 we had to evacuate the area for Hurricane Irma, and the SUV was invaluable to put us all in and our valuables, food, etc... So NO car... at the same time, I want to daily to have some fun factor to it. Especially if I have to give up my Dodge to get it... I would like to stay under $500/month if financed/leased.

Vehicles that I am considering include:

LJ - Fun vehicle, would love to own one. However, I drive 100 miles each way to in-laws and to friends at least twice a month, all interstate. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable in a vehicle of this age, and they are not great interstate vehicles.

JKU - It is a Jeep, well sort of. More reliable than an LJ, probably ride a bit better on the interstate. Would be fun to own. But prices for any JKU that I would own (Sahara or Rubicon) approach or eclipse $30k for something 3-5 years old. I would want something with less than 50k miles. Would have to purchase outright. So would have to sell the Dodge (equity around $20k estimated), so car payment would be low and short.

JLU - Its a Jeep, sort of (maybe a little moreso than a JKU to me). Would buy/lease new so it would have a warranty for at least 3 years. Would ride better on the interstate than an LJ or JKU. I could lease, and with relatively little down (keep the Dodge), I could drive a nice Rubicon for under $500/month... If I used the Dodge equity and purchased, payments would still be around $500/month or a bit under.

Another BMW SUV - Expensive. X3 would likely be around $625+/month to lease, X5 would be $750+/month. No way I would buy one. Leases too attractive and BMW's depreciate too fast to buy. Would not own a BMW out of warranty anyway. Nice, but I've leased two in a row. Over it I guess... But if I did lease I could/might keep the Dodge.

GMC Terrain/Chevy Equinox - Affordable. Can get a pretty loaded one for $300-$350 lease (and keep the Dodge). Or if I used the Dodge equity, loan payment would likely be under $400 for 3 years... While useful, these are relatively bland vehicles that depreciate fast.

Subaru Outback or Crossover - I like Subarus. But for the most part they are not very big (smaller than my BMW) and they are expensive if you load them with options, which I would do. They have poor lease programs, so would be a purchase. Dodge would have to go bye bye... Would I get bored?

Toyota Tacoma or other pickup - Pickup trucks just are not practical for my uses. I've had several. They are not good family haulers unless they are full size, then they are very expensive and will not fit in my garage.

Hyundai/Kia/Toyota SUV - Pathfinders aren't bad, otherwise I find these three very bland and lacking soul. Everyone has one. I hate Kia front ends. But have not really looked at these seriously. Maybe I am missing something?

So there you have it. If I had to rank my feelings thus far, I am most interested in a JLU, followed by a JKU followed by a Subaru. Pickups and LJ's probably wont work for me. Chevy/GMC/Kia/Hyundai/Toyota SUV/Crossovers - am I missing out on something with these that should make me consider them harder - other than the price?

Any opinions welcome, except the virtues of leasing vs. buying discussion. I do realize with the JLU, that buying would be preferable in the sense the mod bug might bite. But as far as leases, I never intend to buy a lease out at the end...

I'd include the Toyota 4runner in your search, body on frame so more rugged than many crossovers and provides for plenty of storage space.

My Challenger takes up a garage spot all winter as well! I see lots of those JLU's around my area, must be doing something right. Keep the challenger, but I'm bias...

RubyJan2014.jpg

I wouldn't own a JKU or a JLU for a daily driver.

I would however own a Subaru in a hear beat. My 2015 Subaru Outback was one of the best vehicles I've owned. Comfortable, quiet, able to easily outperform any Jeep in the snow / inclement weather. Oh, and it's actually reliable too.

Whatever it takes to keep the Truck! For me I use my truck bed so much that I’d have to buy a trailer to replace it if I got rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Challenger takes up a garage spot all winter as well! I see lots of those JLU's around my area, must be doing something right. Keep the challenger, but I'm bias...
I know what you mean. As for looks I still have not seen any vehicle, regardless of price, that I like as much. Plus the 6.4L Hemi and 485hp, not to mention a very nice interior. Mine has all the bells and whistles. It’s just that it’s such a nice car that I cannot put it away dirty which means I know I have to wash it if I take it out, and that tends to make me take the Jeep or the BMW instead.

Reactions: Ohio Kirk
Check out Mazda too I’ve been quite impressed with their lineup for awhile and they’re not bad looking. Also they have some fun to drive spirit about them.

I wouldn't own a JKU or a JLU for a daily driver.

I would however own a Subaru in a hear beat. My 2015 Subaru Outback was one of the best vehicles I've owned. Comfortable, quiet, able to easily outperform any Jeep in the snow / inclement weather. Oh, and it's actually reliable too.
I hear you on the newer Jeeps. Not the most reliable. More so than my 14yo TJ though. But I’m not opposed to the styling and they are fun and versatile.
I’ve gone in a built the Outback in several occasions. I always go with the Limited 6cyl with the infotainment pkg. This puts it up in the $38k territory. Cheaper than a JL Rubicon. But leasing Subaru’s sucks. I’d end up selling my Dodge and still have an $18k bank note. My last Subaru was an 87 GL hatch I bought new for $7,100...

Check out Mazda too I’ve been quite impressed with their lineup for awhile and they’re not bad looking. Also they have some fun to drive spirit about them.
Yeah I’ll look at Mazda. I’ve had a few of them. Had a Miata once, an RX7, and the mini van. Most recently a 2009 Mazda 3 hatch. It was a nice little car that drove like a go cart on rails. Haven’t looked at the CX5 in a while.

Thanks again for mentioning Mazda. I actually just just spent some time looking at the CX-5. Not bad looking vehicle and you can get it absolutely decked out for around $32k. It gets really nice marks from a lot of the rating agencies and auto rags. Definitely a contender especially at the price point. Wish it had a more powerful engine option though.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Thanks again for mentioning Mazda. I actually just just spent some time looking at the CX-5. Not bad looking vehicle and you can get it absolutely decked out for around $32k. It gets really nice marks from a lot of the rating agencies and auto rags. Definitely a contender especially at the price point. Wish it had a more powerful engine option though.

Yeah they just put a pretty nice turbo in the Mazda 6 but hasn’t spread to the rest of their models yet.

They do spec nicely though lots of features when I had one (Mazda 3 back in about 2014) that other vehicles didn’t have at the time. Great on gas too.

Last edited:
Reactions: mde8965
I always forget 4Runner. I’ll look at them. Thanks

I do not like mine but they fit your needs. Roomy, reliable, and super capable.

They get alot of rave reviews because they are still built in an old school sense. The rear diff lock is handy and I am sure your dogs will enjoy the rear power window.

I do not like mine but they fit your needs. Roomy, reliable, and super capable.

They get alot of rave reviews because they are still built in an old school sense. The rear diff lock is handy and I am sure your dogs will enjoy the rear power window.
I’ve looked at them online. Not really what I want in a daily. I would get a JKU or JLU before one of them.

Looking real hard at Mazda CX-5 and considering leasing yet another BMW. This time an X3 M40i... One is nearly double the price of the other. One would be a purchase the other a lease. I know what the smart thing to do would be, but the heart/testosterone keeps arguing the point.

Reactions: tomtaylz