Damaged skid plate transmission mount bolts

Is this a huge dent in your trans pan?

15907764873511577200472672374600~2.jpg

Well, quadratec trans mount appeared to be back order so picked one up at o'Reilly. $40 locally is still better than $150 dealer quoted me. Hopefully now the por is cured (maybe I'll give it another 24hrs) and can hopefully put it back together soon. Awesome responses all. I'm new to the forum but appreciate everyone feedback

Well, quadratec trans mount appeared to be back order so picked one up at o'Reilly. $40 locally is still better than $150 dealer quoted me. Hopefully now the por is cured (maybe I'll give it another 24hrs) and can hopefully put it back together soon. Awesome responses all. I'm new to the forum but appreciate everyone feedback
Make sure it's rubber not poly. Otherwise greater risk for increased vibes.

Those are studs coming from the transmission mount down through the skid plate. There are four 13mm (if I recall correctly) nuts under the skid.

View attachment 165451

The easiest repair would be to replace the transmission mount.

So where is a good place to find flanged nuts or do I just use grade 8 plus washer?

Also on the pic above when I was in o'Reilly I couldn't figure out the thread pattern on the bolts sticking out. Anybody know? I'm guessing since they are new in box the have some powder coat on the threads and I don't want to ruin them by forcing wrong nut on

So where is a good place to find flanged nuts or do I just use grade 8 plus washer?

Also on the pic above when I was in o'Reilly I couldn't figure out the thread pattern on the bolts sticking out. Anybody know? I'm guessing since they are new in box the have some powder coat on the threads and I don't want to ruin them by forcing wrong nut on
I believe they are metric M8X1.25. Buy Grade 10.9 nuts if you can find them. Grade 10.9 is the metric equivalent of SAE Grade 8. Flange nuts are preferred, but you probably could use a nut and a washer.

Reactions: chuckie669

Mcmaster-Carr or Fastenal

McMaster usually ships overnight. They won’t tell you the shipping cost, but it’s always been a few bucks or so. Throw in a bunch of other random bolts you think you might need. Like if you want new flange bolts for the skid plates or other parts

Editing this post as I don't want to spread bad info. Went to clean the threads on the trans to mount and it wasn't a 3/8 but a m10 x 1.5. Had to go buy the correct nut.

Cool let me check them out and maybe replace what I got. That was overly painful to find a handful of nuts. Got grade 8 xx - xx for the mount to the transmission and then picked up some grade 5 equivalent m8 x 1.25 for the mount to skid plate. Had to pick up washers for all as they only had a few nylon flange nuts. Spent more in gas than the 60 cents in nuts and washers

15911210163238409488398193148504.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel City 06
Just wanted to thank you all again. Just got her buttoned back up. Still need to get some new nuts and bolts to put the small skid pan on but everything else is done. Unfortunately it's a little holy but looks a lot better with all the sheet rust removed.

Bonus, doubt I need washers to let the water escape between the frame and pan😅.

20200602_205153.jpg

20200503_114528.jpg

I know it’s a little late, but you do realize our frames rot out from the inside! Make sure you add a drain hole in the frame rail at the rear near the lower control arm mount. I would also get an endoscope and look inside, flush it our and treat the inside of the frame rails.

My dad removed his skid plate holding the trans about 3 week ago as he was doing work on it.. he had no idea it was supporting the trans.. I think he drive it down the street and realized something was up. It’s supported now by a jack . Do you think it will be ok? I heard engine mounts can take a hit if this happens

It's easy enough to check the motor mounts for damage. While I would say to expect at least driveshaft problems, this has happened a lot of times with nothing damaged. Check the driveshafts closely and be sure the radiator isn't harmed. So, unless he went on a long trip with everything hanging, I'd guess you are in the clear. Just be sure to check everything out. Linkages should be checked too.

My dad removed his skid plate holding the trans about 3 week ago as he was doing work on it.. he had no idea it was supporting the trans.. I think he drive it down the street and realized something was up. It’s supported now by a jack . Do you think it will be ok? I heard engine mounts can take a hit if this happens
One thing that can for sure happen with a manual transmission is ripping the rubber boot between the tub and the shifter