Damaged spider gears: What should I do?

Okay; took for drive, drives good, still makes the whining noise, when engine braking. As soon as I put it in neutral or depress clutch noise goes away. Replaced spider gears as I thought it was the culprit, guess not. The ring snd pinion didn’t seem damaged. What else could this be?

Just an update for anyone who come across this thread one day looking for help:

Ended up being the pinion and carrier bearings. My local transmission/differential shop took care of it and installed a differential bearing rebuild kit, also new axle seals. Drives like a dream now.

Just an update for anyone who come across this thread one day looking for help:

Ended up being the pinion and carrier bearings. My local transmission/differential shop took care of it and installed a differential bearing rebuild kit, also new axle seals. Drives like a dream now.
What did you pay for that work? I may need the same. I know you are in Boston, but I am actually trying to ballpark what it would be there vs here.

What did you pay for that work? I may need the same. I know you are in Boston, but I am actually trying to ballpark what it would be there vs here.
$800, did the ring and pinion bearings and axle seals. This was the “cash price” the not cash price was $920

Hmm. Ok that makes sense. I am looking for that, carrier and spyder. Supposedly the master rebuild kits include it all.
I did the spider gears on my own in my driveway. Wasn’t as hard as some of the videos made it out to be on YouTube. I am mechanically inclined so that might be why. I left the ring and pinion bearing to the professionals who do it all the time. Mine needed the spider gear and bearings, after that drove like a dream! Worth the $900 in total including spider gears I did.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I did the spider gears on my own in my driveway. Wasn’t as hard as some of the videos made it out to be on YouTube. I am mechanically inclined so that might be why. I left the ring and pinion bearing to the professionals who do it all the time. Mine needed the spider gear and bearings, after that drove like a dream! Worth the $900 in total including spider gears I did.
I am researching this project myself. Only video/ tutorial I cannot find it what you have to do at the rear wheels to allow the axles to push in and remove the C clips. Will the axles push in with the wheels on ? Do I have to remove wheels and drums etc? Everything else on the project seems straight forward but the videos and tuturials show it from the differential view and just say"push the axle in to expose the C clip and remove it". No explanation of what is involved in how to do that.

Any hep with how that is achieved is appreciated.

I am researching this project myself. Only video/ tutorial I cannot find it what you have to do at the rear wheels to allow the axles to push in and remove the C clips. Will the axles push in with the wheels on ? Do I have to remove wheels and drums etc? Everything else on the project seems straight forward but the videos and tuturials show it from the differential view and just say"push the axle in to expose the C clip and remove it". No explanation of what is involved in how to do that.

Any hep with how that is achieved is appreciated.
I meant to reply the other day. Just jack rear end up, put on jack stands, take wheels off. When you get to the c clip part just push each side in just a little bit at a time till you can get c clips off. Don’t push to much or to hard or you’ll destroy your axle seals. I used this video.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
I meant to reply the other day. Just jack rear end up, put on jack stands, take wheels off. When you get to the c clip part just push each side in just a little bit at a time till you can get c clips off. Don’t push to much or to hard or you’ll destroy your axle seals. I used this video.

Thanks! So just remove the wheels, nothing else? In that video he says “with brake drum, rotors and calipers off”. Thanks for the tip on pushing just a little.

Thanks! So just remove the wheels, nothing else? In that video he says “with brake drum, rotors and calipers off”. Thanks for the tip on pushing just a little.
I don’t remember if I removed the drums or not. I don’t think I did but then again I’m not entirely sure to be honest. I was new to jeeps at the the (still am) im use to BMWs and Porsches. Not sure if anyone else can chime in and confirm if need to remove drums/brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnfromphilly