Dana 30 27 vs 30 spline axle shafts

TJTJ04

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to building a Dana 30 up with 30 spline axles vs the standard 27 spline shafts? Trying to get some different opinions .

****incoming*****
get ready for, “Ahh, waste of money bro! You need 44s! Or hell might as well throw some 60s under it. OH!!! Lockers? Gear Ratio? Size tires? Trans case?
I’m with you! Team 30!!! For mild stuff I don’t see a problem with throwing money towards a 30. BUT that doesn’t mean throw 40s on it and beat rocks.
I know I didn’t help but I’m here for you for when they (jeepers) destroy us for liking the idea of 30s being tough

Looking at tires no bigger than 35's ever,5.13 gears and an Elocker. Not trying to start a storm of he!!. But go ahead anyway. This can of worms is open now.

Looking at tires no bigger than 35's ever,5.13 gears and an Elocker. Not trying to start a storm of he!!. But go ahead anyway. This can of worms is open now.
For that you really need to upgrade your front inner and outer shafts, 27 spline 4340 shafts are fine. That's what I replaced my front shafts with after breaking one running 35's and lockers. No more breakages even on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley CA.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and HYRYSC
For that you really need to upgrade your front inner and outer shafts, 27 spline 4340 shafts are fine. That's what I replaced my front shafts with after breaking one running 35's and lockers. No more breakages even on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley CA.
Off subject (to save Dana 30 talk time) what are your trans temps like with running around and wheeling. Also where are you getting the trans info
BtW big fan of your write ups
I’ve had a tj for a while now. Even a Seattle to Florida trip. Mild wheeling and overlanding.

anyways. I see 170-188 warmed up around town, putting down trails, but never have seen more than 206 in Florida heat, AC full blast, cruising trails.
I’m trying to save my FRESH 42RLE (I know about AUX cooler and I’ve seen the system on Amazon you run)
It also feels nice to have 6,000 miles on a fresh rebuild

Off subject (to save Dana 30 talk time) what are your trans temps like with running around and wheeling. Also where are you getting the trans info
BtW big fan of your write ups
I’ve had a tj for a while now. Even a Seattle to Florida trip. Mild wheeling and overlanding.

anyways. I see 170-188 warmed up around town, putting down trails, but never have seen more than 206 in Florida heat, AC full blast, cruising trails.
I’m trying to save my FRESH 42RLE (I know about AUX cooler and I’ve seen the system on Amazon you run)
It also feels nice to have 6,000 miles on a fresh rebuild
Typically 130-150, 160-170 on very hot days. Rarely 180 and very briefly perhaps 190 if doing something really tough.

****incoming*****
get ready for, “Ahh, waste of money bro! You need 44s! Or hell might as well throw some 60s under it. OH!!! Lockers? Gear Ratio? Size tires? Trans case?
I’m with you! Team 30!!! For mild stuff I don’t see a problem with throwing money towards a 30. BUT that doesn’t mean throw 40s on it and beat rocks.
I know I didn’t help but I’m here for you for when they (jeepers) destroy us for liking the idea of 30s being tough
Well, here is some ammunition for Team 30. If memory serves, on a TJ the only difference between the 30 and the 44 is the size of the ring and pinion. The shafts, outers, knuckles, unit bearings, ball joints, etc. are all the same. Add the HP 30 to the discussion and all of the sudden the 30 is at least as strong as the LP 44.

But, I’ve been wrong before. Been a while since I’ve worked on a ’30.

Well, here is some ammunition for Team 30. If memory serves, on a TJ the only difference between the 30 and the 44 is the size of the ring and pinion. The shafts, outers, knuckles, unit bearings, ball joints, etc. are all the same. Add the HP 30 to the discussion and all of the sudden the 30 is at least as strong as the LP 44.

But, I’ve been wrong before. Been a while since I’ve worked on a ’30.
On the Rubicon's front Dana 44, its inner axle shafts are 30 spline. But other than its R&P gears and center pumpkin, everything else as you said is pure Dana 30. 27 spline outer stub shafts, knuckles, unit-bearings u-joints, brakes, and inner/outer C's.

On the Rubicon's front Dana 44, its inner axle shafts are 30 spline. But other than its R&P gears and center pumpkin, everything else as you said is pure Dana 30. 27 spline outer stub shafts, knuckles, unit-bearings u-joints, brakes, and inner/outer C's.
Thank you @Jerry Bransford .My mind is made up on a good solid 27 spline Dana 30. No worries.

Last edited:
Thank you @Jerry Bransford .My mind is made up on a good solid 27 spline Dana 30. No worries.
I wanted to add that 30 spline wheel bearings are only sold by AlloyUSA at the moment and they cost more than the 27 spline Timken's I put in my ZJ 👎🏿. For that reason alone I would stick to 27 spline at least on the outer's stubs.
BUT you could build 30 splines inners with like an Eaton locker 30 spline or some other carrier. If there was any benefit to it.
Also worth noting the only company that sells axles with 30 spline outer stubs is G2 gear and axle, who does well with Alloy USA being made in china, everyone else ECGS, Dynatrack, Spicer, (Teraflex,) ship axles with that 27 outers. I had the link for them they are around $135 a piece. Also it makes more work for Blaine's Brakes cause then u have to grind that alloyusa bearing yourself.