Dana 30 axle and 35 inch tires

When I was ordering all my parts from east coast gear supply, they talked me out of the 30 spline for the reason above, outers are still 27 spline. Also god forbid you break anything, 30 spline won’t be easy to get again quickly. With using the 27 spline, I can put a stock shaft back in to get me off the trail and back home.
Almost all inner shaft failures I've seen aren't a quick "pop it out, pop it in". Most break right at the splines near the locker and rarely come out easy. Unless you're getting way deep into the diff on the trail, the ability to "quickly get back on the trail" is a bit romanticized.

818CD2CA-2D90-4510-A03D-A7516FC04894.jpeg

And I'll just leave this nugget here...
Blaine.JPG

I ordered the Super 30 kit...I also ordered reinforcement ears, a tube to rosette (plug) weld and am waiting for the truss to come back in stock. Cheap enough parts and I have a squirt gun.

-Mac
Just a heads up, you won't get much love for sleeving a Dana 30 here... the juice is never worth the squeeze and it often causes more issues than it helps.

Reactions: Irun
I have a 2006 LJ with the Dana 30 ARB up front. I am looking to install new axles. I have 27 spline inners. I am running 35’s and do not every plan to go to bigger tires. I have gone through the parts lists and contacted ARB and it looks like I can purchase the side/spider gear kit, thrust washer, and seal kit to convert to 30 spline. (Every other part is the same) I was going to purchase the revolution discovery axles as they use the 5-760 u-joint and if I wanted to install locking hubs at a later date the Yukon kit uses this joint. One more item I checked is all these parts could transfer to a HP with the exception of ring and pinion set. I will be doing the labor myself so that does not factor into this. Has anyone done this ? Am I missing anything? From what I have read here the 30 spline is a significant upgrade over the 27.
Maybe this will help. And, you really shouldn't ignore it.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/arizona-rock-crawling-daily-driver.26000/page-104#post-1025108

Reactions: pc1p
I have never seen or heard of a 27 spline outer failing. The exception is rcv outers.
Lots of misunderstanding about what goes on regarding stub shafts. Given that the Rubicon is a 30 spline inner with the exact same 27 spline outer that the early TJ non Rubi runs, why don't they fail all the time? What does Jeep know that lots of folks don't? Why would Jeep run a wimpy little outer with a 30 spline inner if it was just going to fail?

The reason they don't fail is the 27 spline part never sees the full load that the inner does due to the large flat flange the butts up to the back side of the unit bearing. When the stub axle outer nut is torqued down properly, it works very similar to a slip critical connection in that the friction developed at the faying surface takes a very large amount of the torque load and protects the 27 spline outer.

The reason that the RCV shafts fail is they fucked up the torque spec and are having folks under torque the outer nut which allows the flange to slip and twist off the stub.

We don't run 27 spline inner stuff because we grew tired of fixing it on the trail or trying to.

Last edited:
@Jerry Bransford i see the US made uses the 1310 joint vs the 5-760 joint would that be a substantial upgrade over the discovery series? Do you know if there is a locking hub kit with the 1310 u joint and 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern? I do tow this behind my motor home at times and was thinking it might be nice to stop everything from turning up front. I am looking to do it right and “future proof” my build so I don’t have to buy the same parts again. Thank you for your help.
No good way to get there from here. The large joint stub for either the small or large hub conversion does not exist. Avoid the RCV version for the larger hub kit because it is the smaller bell that fits through the hole in the older CJ knuckle and isn't as strong as the one that fits in the stock TJ application.

I read something recently, when researching gears, where Motive stated "To avoid breaking, engineers specify 4340 or 4140 chrome moly steel capable of twisting 190 degrees and springing back without breaking". This seems insane, so I have to ask if that is really the case with 4340 shafts in general?
Yes and no. You won't do that to the short side, but properly heat treated, entirely possible with the long side and the rear shafts.

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and pc1p
When I was ordering all my parts from east coast gear supply, they talked me out of the 30 spline for the reason above, outers are still 27 spline. Also god forbid you break anything, 30 spline won’t be easy to get again quickly. With using the 27 spline, I can put a stock shaft back in to get me off the trail and back home.
ECGS isn't paying attention, at all.

Lots of misunderstanding about what goes on regarding stub shafts. Given that the Rubicon is a 30 spline inner with the exact same 27 spline outer that the early TJ non Rubi runs, why don't they fail all the time? What does Jeep know that lots of folks don't? Why would Jeep run a wimpy little out with a 30 spline inner if it was just going to fail?

The reason they don't fail is the 27 spline part never sees the full load that the inner does due to the large flat flange the butts up to the back side of the unit bearing. When the stub axle outer nut it torqued down properly, it works very similar to a slip critical connection in that the friction developed at the faying surface takes a very large amount of the torque load and protects the 27 spline outer.

The reason that the RCV shafts fail is they fucked up the torque spec and are having folks under torque the outer nut which allows the flange to slip and twist off the stub.

We don't run 27 spline inner stuff because we grew tired of fixing it on the trail or trying to.
Thanks for explaining this!I have a super 30 kit for sale on here now,but already installed the USA high dollar 27 axles,wished I new this first.oh well

I'd strongly consider staying with 27 spline 4340 inner/outer shafts like from Revolution Gear. That upgrade is more than strong enough for 35's and a front locker, I ran that combination for years without issue. That was after breaking a factory front shaft with 35's and a front locker.

These imported with a 10 year warranty https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...ep_tj_xj_yj_wj_27_spline_kit_discovery_series

Or these American made with lifetime warranty... https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/97_06_tj_lj_xj_and_zj_us_made_front_super_30_axle_kit
The sample rate is too low.

He already has a non stock brake set up. If he loses a tire and fucks a rotor, who is he going to borrow one from and who carries a spare rotor anyway?

Point being, the smart and prudent thing to do when you have parts on your rig that are non standard is to acquire and carry them in some accessible place that you can easily retrieve them from, like your trailer or motorhome.

If he moves to the hub kit, it makes even more sense because even though he may get to a parts store and buy the part, finding a machine shop to open up the center bore and adjust the lug stud holes may not be as easy. Got something oddball, carry a spare. It isn't worth it to be on the first day of a multi day trip and spend the rest of that trip riding bitch with one of your buddies because you lacked the foresight to be prepared.

Reactions: derekmac and pc1p
Oh my god, we can't buy our own rig specific spares and toss them in the motorhome? Oh, the horror.
@mrblaine i have no problem keeping buying and keeping spares with me. (I have a spares box, electrical sensors,u joints, fuel pump, on the Jeep with me) the information I was after are the rubicon axles the same as the 30 spline inners for my axle? (For personal knowledge & so if I come upon a set I can pick them up as spares) but now that I think about it the 44 housing is bigger that puts the axle seal surface out further on the axle and the length would be most likely be different. It sounds like the extra $ and a couple hours of my labor for dropping the carrier out and changing to the 30 spline sidegears is worth it.

@mrblaine i have no problem keeping buying and keeping spares with me. (I have a spares box, electrical sensors,u joints, fuel pump, on the Jeep with me) the information I was after are the rubicon axles the same as the 30 spline inners for my axle? (For personal knowledge & so if I come upon a set I can pick them up as spares) but now that I think about it the 44 housing is bigger that puts the axle seal surface out further on the axle and the length would be most likely be different. It sounds like the extra $ and a couple hours of my labor for dropping the carrier out and changing to the 30 spline sidegears is worth it.
I believe that Revolution sends out a 30 spline short side for either a Super 30 or Rubi 44 and they made a longer seal surface to be able to do that or they just have a somewhat longer one anyway. The long sides are not the same though, so they have to have both lengths for the two applications. Also be aware that it is common for the Disco stuff to be too long and need to be trimmed down. I had to do that to my 44. If you turn the knuckle and it binds up pointed straight ahead, the inner is too long and cutting about 1/8" off the splines generally fixes it.