Dana 30 bearings & races

sierradmax

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Just an FYI, don't trust some kid in an online parts store for your master install kits as some of the part #'s are different than XJ/YJ kits.. The TJ LP Dana 30 uses the following bearings and races:

Carrier bearing(s): LM501349
Carrier race(s): LM501314

Inner Pinion bearing: HM88649
Inner Pinion race: HM88610

Outer Pinion bearing: M86649
Outer Pinion race: M86610

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Also, I forgot to mention. The Dana 30 uses a crush sleeve instead of solid spacer and shims. I think @hosejockey61 mentions this in his video. In addition, pinion depth is achieved by not only an "oil slinger" between the pinion head and the inner pinion bearing but the kit I have uses shims that go between the inner pinion bearing race and the housing.

With that said, use another inner pinion & outer bearing (HM88648 & M86649) and hone out the inside with a die grinder to a slip fit. These will be your pinion "setup bearings". You'll also need to shave some material off another inner pinion bearing race (HM88610) so you can adjust shims between the race & housing, as necessary, for correct pinion depth.

As for the carrier, I believe most kits come with shims that go between the carrier and the carrier bearings. So, you'll also need two additional carrier "setup bearings" (LM501349).

The oil slinger shim isn't necessary to keep on there. I press that bearing on and only use shims behind the inner race.

The other thing about set up bearings is use NEW bearings. It does make a difference in the end compared to used bearings.

LP30's use a crush sleeve and HP30's use shims.

Reactions: sierradmax
@hosejockey61, When you setup your initial pinion depth, did you discard the slinger? Initial setup thickness I'm told to start @ .064" and the slinger I have is .058".

You can keep it if you want as long as it's thin enough. But you won't know until you have it in. That where a set up bearing or clamshell puller comes in handy.

"Suggested" starting depths don't mean a whole lot to me... They are usually very shallow. My guess is they don't want someone trying to jam a gear set in with no backlash. I usually start at about 55 thou and go from there.