Dana 30 Pinion Seal Replacement

jazz-n-tj

TJ Enthusiast
My front pinion seal is starting to leak. It will drip a drop every couple days onto my garage floor. I have watched multiple videos and there seems to be 2 approaches to the repair. Some say to simply say to mark the nut and count the threads to get the same torque on the bolt as I previously had, while others say to just torque it to factory spec, while the truly proper way is to pull the carrier and tighten the bolt to a specified torque resistance on the bearings. Obviously the first option is far more simple by just marking the nut and counting the threads. Has anyone done it this way and had either good or bad results with it?

When I replaced mine, I simply took the old seal off, put a new one on, and torqued the nut to spec. Never had any issue whatsoever with it after that.

@Chris so you didn't worry about counting threads or anything. From what I see the pinion nut should be torqued to 165-180 ft lbs. Is this correct?

@Chris so you didn't worry about counting threads or anything. From what I see the pinion nut should be torqued to 165-180 ft lbs. Is this correct?

That is correct! And nope, I didn’t worry about counting threads. I’m not saying you can’t do it that way, but my way worked for me. I feel like counting threads me be “overthinking it”, but I could be wrong.