Dana 35 carrier gear (spider gear) replacement

Ok, so you are correct, the belled spring clutch places pre-load on the pack so that it spins the wheels.

Install the left side/ring gear side clutch pack/side gear

Put one axle shaft in a vise with enough spline to contact the side gear

Place the carrier onto the axle shaft and make sure the splines are in solid contact with the side gear

Now here is where you will need to devise a "tool." You need to be able to compress the right side (now on top) side gear/clutch pack. Something like a long enough bolt using some thick fender washers will work. The washers need to be large enough not to slip past the axle hole in the gear and the axle bore in the carrier. You need to squeeze that gear in it's bore so the the belled clutch compresses.

Then you put the spider gears 180 degrees away from another and spin them into place. They should go in with minimal resistance now that the one side is compressed

Then just release that top side and you are set.

It is definitely easier to demonstrate than type :D

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So here is my dilemma, I have done exactly those steps, exactly and I'm a fairly mechanical/intelligent guy. But the "minimal resistance" part is escaping me. When I have the side gear in place, on the vise, on the shaft, splines engaged, even then the gear has some resistance (albeit minimal) if I put pressure on it, it refuses to turn???
Quick question, the spring clutch piece, the only smooth clutch piece, goes toward the inside of the carrier, correct? Toward the center of the jeep, correct?

The belled clutch sits against the side gear pointing toward the clutches, then the other discs in alternating fashion. So you are compressing the top clutch pack and it still won't go? It takes a good amount of pressure to compress the belled disk.