Dana 35 noise & what to do next

NYC-TJU

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for some advice. On my 99 TJ with ~230K miles I started getting some driveline noise which I was able to isolate to the rear-end. I was thinking a pinion bearing. Took it to a shop here (not my usual because there's such a wait) and they confirmed it's coming from the Dana 35, and they want to rebuild it and/or replace with a junk yard find for $1200-1500 depending on parts. He said they wouldn't open it up to just do a pinion bearing because of how many miles it has on it.

Questions:
Is it dumb to just want to replace the pinion bearing?
If so, is $1200 - $1500 fair for a rebuild, and should I just wait for my normal guy to do it or is it pretty straightforward?

I just bought an 04 LJ that's MINT, so I'm actually going to sell this black & tan TJ soon (wife says I can't keep both womp womp). So I want to do what's right and safe for the next owner, but I'm not about to re-gear and/or put a better rear in type of thing.

Also I would love to do this myself, but I'm already on thin ice from working on this thing too much in my parking garage. So unfortunately I have to pay someone regardless.

Appreciate any insight!

Given the miles, and since you have to sell it, why not just sell it like it is? Disclose the issue, put a reasonable price on it and post it. My guess it will still sell fast and you'll be in a better position with the household CEO!

Given the miles, and since you have to sell it, why not just sell it like it is? Disclose the issue, put a reasonable price on it and post it. My guess it will still sell fast and you'll be in a better position with the household CEO!
I feel like that would limit the market, no? The noise is pretty intense, so I don't think it should be driven all that much. If it shouldn't be driven then I would think less people would want to look at it. Just feel like the sound itself would scare most people away.

I don't think that selling it as-is would limit you. Are there an abundance of TJs for sale in your area? The amount that you would discount the selling price wouldn't necessarily need to be the price you've been quoted to replace the bearing. Plus, there are always people looking for a decent deal that don't mind doing the repair work themselves.

Heck, go spend $40 on a set of pinion bearings and include them with the sale.

Reactions: Irun
I feel like that would limit the market, no? The noise is pretty intense, so I don't think it should be driven all that much. If it shouldn't be driven then I would think less people would want to look at it. Just feel like the sound itself would scare most people away.
Maybe, maybe not. Does the Jeep have rust? If so, that's a much bigger issue than a Dana 35. If it's not rusted badly, there are plenty of folks out there that are willing to buy something that needs work, but looking for a decent deal. It certainly won't hurt to try. Just don't overplay the issue, but don't try to hide it either.

For example, if you post it with a good price, but say something like "needs some work". You'll attract the kind of folks that are willing to do something to get something. Once they reply to you, an explanation of the issue can follow. If it helps, I bought my current TJ like this last year. The front pinion bearing was howling, but I didn't care because it had no rust, and I got it cheap enough. In your case if it doesn't sell, then you can re-evaluate. Regardless, I see folks worrying much more about the miles on the Jeep than anything else.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Ok I may just list and see what happens. Not sure where to price it at since people seem to be asking so much for them here, I'll probably just come in somewhere 35%-40% less than what's out there.

Safe to assume continuing to drive it is asking for trouble? Just wondering if I should have it towed back to my place now.

I'll preface this with the fact that I don't know but that seems like a lot of money, at least for a dana 35. I don't know how handy you are but I would think the easiest thing would be to find a matching dana 35(gear ratio and abs or not) on facebook/craigslist/local 4wd shop. They shouldn't be that expensive.

I'll preface this with the fact that I don't know but that seems like a lot of money, at least for a dana 35. I don't know how handy you are but I would think the easiest thing would be to find a matching dana 35(gear ratio and abs or not) on facebook/craigslist/local 4wd shop. They shouldn't be that expensive.
Yeah that would be my preferred method as well, but I'm in an apartment now with a parking garage and don't have the space to work on it. The complex doesn't want you doing anything in the garage so I'm kind of stuck.

Reactions: Irun