Dana 35 to Dana 44 swap

I am swapping my stock Dana 35 rear end for a Dana 44 that I am purchasing from an individual that is parting out a wreck. Is there any special bracketing or other bits and pieces that I must have in order to make this swap?

Reactions: Kevin E
That depends on the vehicle the Dana 44 came out of. If that Dana 44 came out of a 97-06 TJ, it'll bolt right in.

But if it came out of any other vehicle, you've got a big job ahead of you getting it converted for use in your TJ. All new mounting brackets would have to be welded into place and depending on the Dana 44, it may also be too long and have to be shortened too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin E and StG58
That depends on the vehicle the Dana 44 came out of. If that Dana 44 came out of a 97-06 TJ, it'll bolt right in.

But if it came out of any other vehicle, you've got a big job ahead of you getting it converted for use in your TJ. All new mounting brackets would have to be welded into place and depending on the Dana 44, it may also be too long and have to be shortened too.

X2

If the Dana 44 came out of another TJ, it's a direct swap.

So, hopefully it did, otherwise you've got your work cut out for you!

Reactions: Kevin E
My jeep is a 2000 Sport edition. The Dana 44 is coming out of a 2001 Sahara. Can I keep my drive shaft or will I need a different length? Do not currently have an SYE installed or cardan shaft.

As long as the Dana is coming out of a TJ it will just be a straight swap out. If it was from a JK then you would have to make adjustments. Your Sport had the Dana 44 as an option from the factory.

I'm with you. Everything should be just a straight swap and one of the easiest things to do for beefing up your TJ. Will you be changing gears in both axles?
Not changing the gearing. My jeep came with 3:73s and I'm cool with that because I do take some road trips. I will probably re-gear if I ever decide to switch my 33's to 35's.

Not changing the gearing. My jeep came with 3:73s and I'm cool with that because I do take some road trips. I will probably re-gear if I ever decide to switch my 33's to 35's.
You will love the torque you gain back when you regear. Running my 35's with 4:88's run 70 -75 on interstate with ease and don't have to down shift on hills either.

doing a 44 swap from an 05 LJ to my 06 Tj, everything should bolt up fine correct? width the same and all? I just need to check the gearing..
it is also equipped with disk breaks...will I need different parking break cables??

doing a 44 swap from an 05 LJ to my 06 Tj, everything should bolt up fine correct? width the same and all? I just need to check the gearing..
it is also equipped with disk breaks...will I need different parking break cables??

Direct swap. Unbolt and bolt the new one up, then go drive it like you stole it.

Reactions: Chayton
Hello Folks - Looking for some suggestions on swapping the Dana 35 on my TJ. I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but here are my options.

Option # 1 Get a used Dana 44 from Rubicon TJ with Tru-Lok 4.10. A used part store in my area is asking $1500, but I still need to upgrade the gearing from 4.10 to 4.56 (Currently running 35-inch Tires). Yukon Gear kit (Front/Rear on Quadratec comes for around $550. So, the rough cost for Dana 44 swap assuming everything else is an easy swap including using the existing driveshaft would be around $1800 plus tax and labor if I decide to outsource the work.

Option # 2- Keep the Dana 35 but go with Chromoly 30 Spline Axle shafts (Revolution, G2, something else - $700), Re-gear from stock 3.07 to 4.56 (Yukon Kit - $275 approx ($550/2) and get an Eaton E-Locker ($1,100 approx). , This comes to approx. $2100 plus tax and labor.

I plan to keep the front Dana 30 and go with Super 30 kit (Chromoly axle shaft - 30 spline), re-gear from 3.07 to 4.56 and possibly add an E-locker. Rought cost $2100 plus tax and labor. The used parts guy also has a front Dana 44 off of the same vehicle but he is asking $2700 for it. Both front and rear Dana 44 axles, he is asking $4200 plus tax.

In summary, the two options are coming close in terms of costs. Super 30/35 maybe a little bit cheaper because of less labor.

Do you have any suggestions or other ideas which could save me some money?

Hello Folks - Looking for some suggestions on swapping the Dana 35 on my TJ. I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but here are my options.

Option # 1 Get a used Dana 44 from Rubicon TJ with Tru-Lok 4.10. A used part store in my area is asking $1500, but I still need to upgrade the gearing from 4.10 to 4.56 (Currently running 35-inch Tires). Yukon Gear kit (Front/Rear on Quadratec comes for around $550. So, the rough cost for Dana 44 swap assuming everything else is an easy swap including using the existing driveshaft would be around $1800 plus tax and labor if I decide to outsource the work.

Option # 2- Keep the Dana 35 but go with Chromoly 30 Spline Axle shafts (Revolution, G2, something else - $700), Re-gear from stock 3.07 to 4.56 (Yukon Kit - $275 approx ($550/2) and get an Eaton E-Locker ($1,100 approx). , This comes to approx. $2100 plus tax and labor.

I plan to keep the front Dana 30 and go with Super 30 kit (Chromoly axle shaft - 30 spline), re-gear from 3.07 to 4.56 and possibly add an E-locker. Rought cost $2100 plus tax and labor. The used parts guy also has a front Dana 44 off of the same vehicle but he is asking $2700 for it. Both front and rear Dana 44 axles, he is asking $4200 plus tax.

In summary, the two options are coming close in terms of costs. Super 30/35 maybe a little bit cheaper because of less labor.

Do you have any suggestions or other ideas which could save me some money?
Just keep in mind that you will need to have someone install the gears for you, unless you've done it before, there are multiple expensive tools needed plus its a VERY complicated process to get it right.

FYI when you do decide what to get have the shop provide the parts, if anything goes wrong and you supplied the parts they will blame the parts.

what transmission do you have?